Surrender

You could say I had always been a nervous person, scared of applying for new jobs, afraid of meeting new people, or being anxious about exam results. However, nothing, not anything, could have prepared for the freight of prison. The thought of meeting hundreds of convicted girls, that might have killed people, or worse, sickened me like no other. I had to face this.

Sitting in the waiting room to 'surrender' was hell, it wasn't surrendering, I didn't want to be there. The thoughts rushing through my mind, how could I let my parents down like that? How could I leave everything I had ever done? How could I throw my life away for something that little? No, none of this was me but there was no other options, it's too late.

"YOU, come right this way, you know the procedures, right?"
I couldn't even speak back, I was terrified of extra time, being put in solitary, or even getting a bad first impression. I nodded.
"Okay then, come right through, all of your information was in the paper work, here's your shoes, and outfit for now. Alright inmate, strip"
What?! Strip right there? I felt so vulnerable, why did I have to do this? The only thing I wanted was my freedom, not to smuggle some crap that would get me into more trouble.

After the hell of stripping in front of guards, squatting and coughing, being interrogated for my silly mistakes when answering questions, I was there. Being shown around by a girl called Morello, she seemed nice, but it was hard for anyone to seem nice here, who knows what anybody could have done to wind up here.

I sat down in the room I was escorted to, my orange jump suit looked no where near as good as my black skinny jeans, I sat on my bed and sulked, sulked like it would help me get out of there. It was useless.

Time passed, it felt like weeks, months, years, being in this room on my own, no one else had arrived yet. "INMATE, you're being assigned, right this way" I stood up quickly, not wanting to face the wrath of superiors that could send me down to solitary if I so much as said something wrong. I followed him down the hall way, other girls sneering at me, I kept my head down. That was until I reached my "cube", I sat down on the uncomfortable bed and stared at the floor.

It took a while to glance around, I was too submerged by my own thoughts. I looked up and noticed a girl who must of been my room mate, focused on reading a book. Oh my goodness, she's beautiful. Her long black hair, the way her thick black glasses sat on her nose and she pushed them up every so often, her deep green amazing eyes, she was perfect, the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen.