CHAPTER 2

The next morning, I woke to the sound of my father throwing up in the bathroom. I slowly rose out my sleeping bag, on guard. I didn’t forget about what happened last night.
My head was sore from colliding it into the wall. A painful reminder of what happened.
Though I knew he wouldn’t remember it, I needed to be quiet. He had hit me plenty of times sober as well.
I walked over to my door and listened carefully. After several minutes of hurling, there was a long pause and then the toilet flushing.
I heard a door open and close. Followed by another door opening and closing again.
I could only assume that my father had returned to his room. After a quiet minute, I dared to peek out of my door.
The bathroom light was off and its door closed. Opening the door further I saw my fathers bedroom door was closed.
I quietly and carefully closed mine and went to my box of clothes. Though I should have hung them up last night, I would get to that chore later. Despite it, I had no difficulty finding what clothes I wanted. I grabbed my white and blue striped long sleeve with dark blue jeans. I placed on my black cargo boots and went to my bedroom door.
I slowly and carefully opened the door, holding my breath during the while. I prayed my bedroom door didn’t squeak.
It unfortunately, did so slightly when opened part of the way. I froze and held my breath. My heart paced like a racehorse upon hearing the squeak.
My father however didn’t stir. I opened the bedroom more enough to squeeze myself out and quickly closed it.
I dared to use the bathroom. Emerging in, I saw our sea coral themed shower curtain hung in front of the shower. Matching toilet seat cover and floor mat revealed themselves in their proper places. Grey towels hung from the towel racks and a small damp rag sat by the toilet.
After relieving myself, I held my breath while the toilet flushed.
I slowly opened the bathroom door and made my way to the white front door.
The front door was quiet to open but however, the bolt slide lock we had for our door was not. It gave off a loud pop which I knew for a fact my father had heard
He came out of the bedroom this time.
“Casey? Where are you going?” he asked groggily.
I turned and looked at him, the front door half opened. He stood at the end of the corridor, wearing a white tank top with red checkered pj pants.
He was very much hungover.
“I was just gonna go explore the neighborhood dad.” I answered honesty. It wasn't a total lie. I really did want to go to the beach and take in the scene more than anything. This was the first time waking up to the beach.
“Fine, just be careful. And be home before 8pm. You gotta help me move the furniture when it gets here.” He said.
“I got my phone on me if you need me or they come early.” I said.
My father waved his hand in the air as a gesture of whatever. He steered back into his bedroom.
I turned and left the house as soon as he closed his door. Once outside I felt free.
I felt a heavy weight lifted off of me. My heart as well as my body felt light and easy. I felt I could run fast and as far as I want and be as loud as I wanted.
I made my way down the rusty iron stairs and walked across the parking lot.
I looked around in the parking lot and noticed only a handful of cars remained in this sector of the lot. I looked at my phone and realized today was Thursday, 9:30 am. Many of these people who lived here would already be at work.
Looking back at the apartment complex we lived in, I now begun to notice its shabby and old age look.
The outside of the apartments were made of brick. The brick was so old that some of it missing from its places. The apartment complex was large itself but only went as high as two stories. Everyone shared a wrap around balcony on the second floor with multiples accesses to the stairs to get on the ground.
While the parking lot wrapped around the complex as well, I noticed around the corner of the complex, even fewer cars were seen. If anything, only two cars remained on the other side.
I pushed the wondering thought away from my mind and looked ahead towards the pier.
I hadn’t told my father of my desire to go onto the pier but surely there was nothing wrong with looking at it closer?
Luckily for me there was an wide sidewalk that seemingly enough led straight for it. It led onto the side of the iron guard rails and had me walk on between oncoming traffic and white beach sand.
During my walk, I glanced over at the beach. Its long shores seemed endless to me, and it was a bit of a warm up to get the shore. Few people were on the beach but it wasn’t for swimming.
While I had heard of sand dunes and long stretches of sand, it was crazy sight to behold seeing the quarter of mile stretch of golden white sand led to the salty waters of the ocean. it was a true beautiful scene to behold. ahead of me, seagulls cried out loudly. Some fly over me and around the distance ahead of the ocean. Others landed on the shore and pecked around the sand at each other.
I turned my sight back to the people gathering around the ocean. The people all gathered at the edge of the water or merely strolled around the sand.
Even in mid-Febraury, the water was too cold swimming. People and tourist certainly wouldn’t come to swim at this time of year. Even now the cold wind that blew slightly reminded me what month it was. I was beginning to feel glad I wore my long sleeve today.
Despite the ocean being a no-go for people, it didn’t stop them from doing other things. I found myself walking people riding their rollerblades and bikes, walking their dogs or doing their morning run. Some people scanned the sands with their metal detectors, and merely walked along the shore, jamming with their headphones on.
Within the time I arrived at the entrance of the pier, I had passed back at least two dozen people roaming and trailing the sidewalk.
Upon approaching the entrance, the sidewalk widened and turned sharply towards the ocean. The sidewalk turned to large parking lot that by this time, was now partly full. Trimming along the parking lot was another wide sidewalk and trimming the sidewalk was numerous palm trees that seemed to be in fine health.
I followed this sidewalk until it led me to the official entrance of the pier.
The lot ended and was barricaded from the pier by thick short concrete bars, forbidding entry to any car upon the pier.
The sidewalk’s that wrapped along the lot merged into one single wide walkway and led to a archway entrance made of mix of wood and stone.
The entrance was wide, allowing a multitude of people traffic to come in and out of the pier as they pleased. Two officers guarded the entrance. One standing by each side of the entry.
My heart lifted in excitement as I realized there was no entry fee or payment to get onto the pier. I stood by the concrete barriers for a moment and watched a few people go in. Nodding only to the officers and went on about their way.
I had never been on a pier before, much less a large festival pier such as this. My heart raced with excitement as I dared to get closer.
As I did, I saw multiple game and food stands owners preparing their carts for business. Some pulling out their business or menu signs, propping them by their food carts. Others hanging lone lines of teddy bears, stuffed elephants and colorful plush mermaids on a line.
I knew my father would probably be angry or annoyed if he found out I was here but.... I wasn't paying for anything. I wasn't buying anything. Besides, it appeared that nothing was open. it was too early in the day. So it would fine. Right? There was nothing wrong with looking. The pier was apart of where I lived now. .
I finally glanced down at my feet and realized the hard concrete k had been walking on had turned to long thick wooden planks.
Walking onto them, I didn’t feel unsure at all if the planks would give away underneath me. They felt hard, strong, and extremely durable. How long had this pier been here? It held people all the time, so I shouldn't be any different.
Walking up to a large sign, it showed a large picture of the pier throughout the years as well with a paragraph underneath it.