Chapter 14

Nixx

"I want Tristan to come with me, and any soldiers that he thinks are ready for real combat need to be geared up and ready to go," I say to Kyler as I repack my bag with necessary weapons.

Him and the rest of the soldiers had arrived shortly after Noella fell asleep. No casualties, and as far as injuries go, they're all healed by now.

Kyler nods, again trusting me without question.

"I'll have them all ready to go in twenty," he states confidently.

"And I want you to stay here with Noella," I add quickly as I duck out of my room.

"Wait, what?"

His steps are fast to catch up to mine, his glare burning a brand into the side of my head.

"Why would I do that?" He asks.

"Because I told you to."

He scoffs. "No way. You need me."

"You're right. I need you to stay here with Noella." He opens his mouth but I quickly say, "The rogues could be planning to attack while I'm gone. They had to have known I would hunt them after what they did, and this could all be an elaborate plan to get me away."

He takes a deep breath, his jaw ticking once, twice, before he lets out a giant sigh.

"Fine, but you better come back here in one piece."

My lips twitch. "Aww, Ky, are you worried about me?"

"Shut up," he says, but I hear the humor in his voice.

"I will try my hardest to come back to you, sugerbun," I coo at him.

He shoves my shoulder, and I laugh all the way out the door.

                   •*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Noella

There's someone in my room. I know because the window opening woke me up. The creak and slide of the glass floated around the room until my conscious decided it was time to come back.

Shuffling begins faint at first, but then it gets louder, like it's right beside me.

My eyes shoot open, finding familiar brown ones staring back at me.

Everything inside of me pauses before rushing back in a giant force as I behold my father before me.

"Hey there, kiddo," he greets, a giant smile on his face.

All of the air in my lungs leaves in a massive exhale, breathing becoming exponentially hard as stare at him, trying and failing to come to terms with the fact that my father is standing in front of me.

"Listen, I know this has gotta be hard to grasp, but we really don't have a lot of time," he says in a rush.

He grabs my boots from the floor and slips them on my feet before grabbing my coat and gesturing for me to stand up.

My brows furrow, sense finally starting to return.

"What do you mean? Everyone here is going to be so happy when they find out you're here!" I say, getting excited. "Although I can't for the life of me figure out why they wanted to find you as bad as I did, but they did, and now we can finally stop searching and-"

"Noella, I know you're excited, but we really have to leave now."

I shake my head, a smile blooming on my lips.

"No, we don't. I promise it's safe here. They've all been searching for you, and we can't leave without telling them."

His grip is gentle but rough all at once as he guides me off the bed and toward the window.