Chapter 10

Nixx

"I think we should start with the South patch of the forest. That's usually where most rogues tend to camp," Rowan says.

I nod. "That's where we will start then. I'll have a word with Noella and see if she has any ideas." I look to each of the soldiers to make sure we're in agreement before adding, "We leave at dawn."

"Yes, Alpha," they all say in unison.

I turn around, expecting to find Noella standing where I left her, but she isn't.

Panic bubbles, but I tamp it down. She's gotta be here somewhere. She couldn't have just left.

No, but she definitely could have been taken, my wolf says, his voice full of worry.

Not helping, I snap back.

"Noella?" I call as I walk around.

Nothing. She isn't here.

This time, the panic reaches higher, clawing at my collarbone.

"Noella!" I call, louder this time, anxiety coating my voice.

my feet scramble, going this way and that, searching, wanting, begging the universe to let her still be alive.

"Noella!" I call again as I trek deeper through the woods.

I could wake the whole forest with how loud I'm yelling, but I have no care in my head right now. Nothing except Noella's safety.

"Noella!" I shout, my voice carrying through the bush.

"Nixx!" Kyler's voice rings out. "We're over here!"

My eyes finally reach a corner through the large trunks in front of me. Kyler tugging Noella behind him as he walks towards me.

That bastard.

My mind blanks, feet moving before my brain has time to process they even twitched, and then I'm in front of him.

I rip him away from my mate, then throw his body backwards, shoving him up against the nearest tree as I growl. "What the hell were you thinking?"

It's then that I realize my wolf has taken over, but I can't get control back, not when this much anger is pulsing through my blood.

Kyler's hands go up, face turning away from my black stare as he says, "I wasn't hurting her, buddy, I swear. We were just grabbing some wood."

My hands push harder, and Kyler grunts at the pressure.

"You lie!" My wolf snarls.

Suddenly hands are on my chest, pushing at it right before a head pops up in my vision.

"Stop it!" Noella demands.

Her features demand confidence, but I see the rigid set of her spine, the small crease in her forehead, the slight tremble of her fingers.

I'm scaring her.

"You're hurting him! He didn't do anything to me! And he is not lying! Look!" She points to a pile of twigs and sticks as she speaks, and guilt slowly creeps up my throat.

"Let him go," she whispers, eyes boring into mine.

She no doubt sees the blackened gaze she holds, but she doesn't look away, doesn't back down.

Her hands slide up, fingers lightly brushing my exposed neck, and a shiver runs through me, my hold on Kyler slipping.

"Just let go," she murmurs once more.

My wolf finally relents, and I come back with a sigh, my hands immediately wrenching themselves from Kyler's body.

"What was that?" Noella asks quietly.