Chapter Five- Kodi

Foreign language Friday.
Dreaded by all.
That was how Charlie put it.

"I don't like all these languages..." I commented, staring at the list, "half of them are barely spoken." The document of communications lay on my desk. A long list of mandatory languages to pass Class A.

Charlie and Yansala nodded in agreement, there desks to either side of me. But of course Vaughn butted in, "if you had to use them on a mission you'd fail. But you'll fail anyways."

"I didn't say I didn't know them," I reprimanded, "I simply stated that learning some of these seems to be a waste of time."

Vaughn rolled her eyes and laughed, "always so smart. So Kodi. Bud'te normal'no li?" (Be normal would you?)

"Normal'nyy ne imeyet okonchatel'nogo opredeleniya ili polozheniya dlya cheloveka. Poetomu ya prosto kak obychno, kak i vse ostal'nyye," I replied. (Normal has no definitive definition or stipulations for human beings. therefore I am just as normal as everyone else.)

Yansala quickly butted in, "if you all would like to cut out the Russian that would be wonderful."

I grinned just slightly as Vaughn heaved a grunt and turned around to bother some of the girls who sat behind her. "Thank you for that," I commented, "you'd think she'd know Russian is one of my first languages."

Yansala nodded, "she is a pest."

Now that was something everyone could agree on. But not everyone was here in class. I peered around the room, noticing six girls missing. Strange.

"I thought German was your first language?" Charlotte commented.

I nodded, "and Russian..."

"Where are you from?" Yansala questioned.

Charlotte rolled her eyes, "she won't answer.  I've tried.  I think she was raised by wolves in Siberia."

"You're so funny..." I growled before replying to Yansala, "I just feel uncomfortable relaying that information..."

She laughed in understanding, "then there is Charlotte..."

"Hey," Charlotte threw her hands up, "I'll be nice and open about how my parents screwed me and Ilene over."

"I didn't even know my parents," yansala's voice disappeared into a hushed whisper.

I felt a pang in my chest which I quickly worked to ignore, "what's so great about parents anyways," I muttered, "I am just fine without them."  I pushed the painful memories away.

"Did your parents betray you? Poor baby Kodi," Vaughn mocked.

I sneered, "when did you get here?"

Vaughn smirked, "I'm a pure bred. Here since birth."

Charlotte jumped in, "that's cute. Your parents didn't even want you for a second. They got rid of you the first chance they had."

Yansala frowned, "that's enough."

I made eye contact with Charlie and slowly shook my head, signaling for her to back off.

"Sorry I brought up the conversation anyways," Yansala apologized, "we aren't all so open about our pasts." She spoke to me specifically.