The Only Fairies I Know Have Tattoos

Natsu led us down the sidewalk, laughing, as the sun set in the west, painting the sky the most beautiful color I'd seen yet. It was so warm and faded into other colors in other areas. I wondered... did he see them too? Normally I would never just go running off with a boy I just met, but this was different. According to the tale, this boy was my true love. But, what if he wasn't? What if it's not true and we don't work out?? Even with all these thoughts clouding my mind, two things were for sure: I could now see color, and Natsu was a dancer at Fairy Tail.

About Fairy Tail, see, I am the best dancer at Celestial Academy. It's a great school, but well, it's not the best. I always aim higher than my body physically accepts, which often leads to hospitalization, but if it means I'll win a competition, it's worth it. The thrill of performing and the thrill of exceeding my own expectations are feelings that will never be topped. I guess my head dance instructor, Aquarius, noticed my dedication because she applied a date for the two of us to meet the head instructor of Fairy Tail. And that date was two hours ago, so basically I'm screwed. There's no point in going now since the instructors and Aquarius have probably already left after an awkward wait for me. The situation sounds terrible, right? Well it is, but for some reason I can't bring myself to be genuinely upset which is kind of strange. I guess finding my supposed true love who is a dancer of Fairy Tail and being able to see color has lightened my mood. I still feel like I should be upset. But I just don't.

"Here we are!" I heard Natsu's voice call out as we stopped in front of a large, old fashioned building that could only be... Fairy Tail?

I thought we were going out to eat? What is happening? "What? Natsu, why did you bring us here? I don't unders-"

"THERE YOU ARE, YOU LITTLE BRAT!" I flinched as a loud, all too familiar voice rung out.

There she was my dancing instructor, Aquarius. She wore her long and smooth hair gelled back and it was the color of the sky. Her eyes were as well, only a darker shade. She had a pretty face, but always had an unfortunate scowl on it. She stomped towards me, radiating anger. She was pissed, but that was to be expected.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" she hollered at me, completely ignoring the others. But then again, Natsu was ignoring her too. He was talking to... was that... Mr. Makarov! Fairy Tail's head instructor! Aquarius' booming voice snapped me out of my daze, "You are two hours late! Do you have any idea how important this meeting was!?" she screamed out, huffing, trying to regain her breath.

I wanted to tell her to keep her voice down. I wanted to tell her the dance instructors of Fairy Tail were staring and that it would just make my chances of getting in worse. I also wanted to tell her my new friend Wendy looked like she was about to pass out. But she wouldn't care. She never cared about any of that. So I stayed silent.

"I hate to interrupt, but is this the Lucy you were talking about?"

Aquarius turned around and I looked behind her at a very short, old man smiling up at us. It was Mr. Makarov. "Ye- yes." I stuttered out.

"Fantastic. Call me Makarov. I've seen you at some recent competitions. You're quite skilled, and according to Natsu here, you're a nice person," he said with a smile.

What was going on???

"Uh, thank you very much, sir!" I managed to let out.

"Yes, you are talented and nice. But to join Fairy Tail, you also need to have room for and be open to improvement and making yourself not only a better dancer, but a better person. You also need to be nice, but that doesn't mean you should be weak. Be firm and strong and say what you mean and mean what you say. Stand up against your opponent and give everything your all no matter what it is," he said, staring straight into my eyes. "Exceed the limits of society, for that's what it takes to be a member of Fairy Tail!" he declared, raising his right hand with his fingers in the shape of an L.