1: Peaceful Sleep

El watched what was happening in the Gryffindor common room from the staircase leading to the girls dormitory, being careful to keep herself hidden. Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked like they were sneaking out past curfew and Neville had stood up to stop them.

"You're a little scary sometimes, you know that?" El heard Ron say to Hermione as he gulped, "Brilliant, but scary."

She watched as the iconic trio made their way out of the common room. Emma had suspected that the three were going to do something tonight, they just didn't know what. But just because the sisters had their suspicions, didn't mean they were going to act on them.

Instead of following the three friends to the third floor, El and Emma decided to do something to get their mind off of it all so they wouldn't be worrying as much. Indiana had suggested going to Dumbledore about it but El and Emma knew that they would just look crazy if they spilled all the recent news to him.

Once El was sure that the trio was a good enough distance away from the common room, she made her way down the stairs, past Neville's frozen body, and out through the exit. As quietly as possible so as to not get caught, she found her way to the Hufflepuff common room, somewhere she didn't go too often only because Emma was in the Gryffindor common room more than the Hufflepuff one.

Because she didn't know the password, Emma had to open up the entrance for El so she could come in. The fact that the room was filled with so much yellow made the room seem so happy but it was also filled with black which contrasted against the yellow, something El thought was sort of symbolic.

"How are you?" were the first words that El asked once she saw her sister.

"Stressing but fine," Emma said truthfully, "And you?"

"Same."

El and Emma wrapped their arms around each other in a hug to try and diffuse the stress they were sharing. After a few seconds they let go and Emma took El's hands in hers.

"Want to meet Cedric?" she asked.

"He's up?" El questioned then raised an eyebrow, "Wait, Em, I've already met him before."

"That was a long time ago so it doesn't count."

Emma pulled El over to one of the yellow couches in the room where Cedric was and flopped down onto it, El flopping down right beside her.

"El, this is Cedric," Emma said, "Ced, this is my twin sister, El."

"Nice to meet you, El," Cedric said, holding his hand out for a handshake, "Again."

El shook his hand then stared intensely at him with her eyes narrowed. He backed away, partially out of fear and partially out of concern.

"El, what are you do-" Emma began to ask.

"Do you like my sister?" El questioned Cedric suddenly, "I'm just kidding, don't answer that, I already know the answer. By the way, it doesn't matter that you're like three years older than her. Do you know why?"

"Why..." Cedric said slowly, unsure if he wanted to hear her answer.

"Because boys don't mature as quickly as girls which means you guys are probably around the same maturity level," El said smartly, "Is there any food up here?"

She spotted some cherries on a small round table a few feet away and went to grab them. Cedric let out a sigh and looked at Emma who had her head in her hands.

"Your sister is very energetic," he stated plainly.

"It's her anxiety speaking," Emma told him, "She either gets really energetic or really timid. I know, contrast opposites. It's weird but so is she."

El rejoined the two on the couch as she popped a cherry into her mouth. She looked at Emma and Cedric as though waiting for one of them to speak because the silence was starting to get rather awkward.

"So, erm, what might your friends be doing that's causing you guys to stress?" Cedric asked uncertainly.

"Sneaking into the third floor to steal a rock with magical powers," El replied blatantly.

Emma quickly cut in, "But we don't know for sure if that's what they're doing. That's just the farthest our assumptions have taken us."

"Okay, well, fill me in," Cedric urged, "Maybe we can find out some other possible ways this whole situation could go."

El and Emma exchanged skeptical looks. They, Indiana, and Julia were the only ones that knew about their suspicions and they didn't really want anyone else to know. On the other hand though, Emma trusted Cedric.

"We heard our friends talking about this guy named Nicolas Flamel," Emma began and Cedric interjected, "One of the more famous alchemists in history, Nicolas Flamel?"

"Yup, that's the guy," El nodded, "Emma fancies him by the way so watch your back."

"Anyways," Emma rolled her eyes, "We looked him up in the library and read all about him. After our research we talked about what else I had heard our friends speaking about which included the third floor corridor and some trap door or something."

"We put the pieces together, boom, boom, boom, they're trying to steal the stone, as simple as that," El said.

Cedric furrowed his eyebrows, "And you're sure they're trying to steal it?"

"No, not entirely," Emma said, "But we don't know what else they could be doing about it unless..."

She froze as realization hit her. She quickly spun to face her sister, "El. What if they're trying to protect it?"

El's jaw dropped a bit as she sat in silence before speaking, "Ohhhhh, yeah, see, that would make a lot more sense than them stealing it, pff, what were we thinking."

"Well, I personally am thinking that you two should get some sleep," Cedric said, "You don't have anything to worry about anymore, right?"

El and Emma looked at each other. Maybe they didn't have to worry about their friends stealing a very important item, but Cedric was far mistaken. They now had to worry about their friends' safety.

"I'm going to head up to bed and I recommend you two girls do the same," Cedric said, "Goodnight, sweet dreams."

"Goodnight," Emma responded.

El was about to reply with a goodnight but she had put a few more cherries in her mouth and she hadn't swallowed them until he was already long gone in his dormitory.

"Em," El said quietly as she looked at her sister who seemed to be staring off into space.

"Hm?"

"Can I just stay here with you tonight?"

Emma looked at El, "Yeah, of course."

El moved over closer to her twin on the couch and wrapped her arms around her, laying her head on her shoulder as Emma also wrapped her arms around El.

"I love you, Em," El said in such a quiet voice that it was nearly a whisper.

Emma smiled, "I love you."

And before they knew it, they had both fallen into a peaceful sleep.