Chapter 8: The one who has to shoulder this world.

Note from the author: Artoria's perspective.

When I woke up, I did not move. I summarized what I had found, casting a quick glance down at my quivering hands.

I am Artoria Valkywyrm, the fifth and final extant ancient dragon, brought to this world by the goddess of light and wisdom's incalculable sacrifices.

I was selected and sent to this earth to purge it of the impurities of original sin.

My forefathers made innumerable sacrifices in order to serve the gods, and this pledge is intricately linked to their history.

Thus, failure must not be accepted if any of it is to be in vain! I need to cleanse the land from the demons presence and crush their schemes before they end up creating discord between the nations and sapient beings.

I have to fulfill this goal! When a god even agreed to have a child against her will in order to save some helpless souls, how could I be insensitive to such kindness? Eirylis, the goddess of light and wisdom, is the one who had to decapitate her own brother and fight through the fallout.

I got off the bed and moved away. I was there with an even stronger resolve—the primordial sin was never going to rise again! Not on my watch! even if it means turning into an eternal sentinel condemned to a life of never-ending carnage, because I will defend the world that my forefathers risked their lives to defend.

After this moment of contemplation, I was soon brought back to reality by my butler entering the room and rushing towards me, all teary. While I was crying in relief, he tried to hug me. Unfortunately, only cute women are permitted this privilege, so I blocked him.

"That is enough, Kevin. Get yourself together for fuck's sake!"

"whaaaaaa! Young master, I feel so relieved." He followed his cries, sniffing three times before repeating how worried he was and how relieved he was now. It was a dull speech. Even so, there was something he said that surprised me.

"After reading that strange book, the young master didn't stop repeating the following sentences: repent, atone, and regret. after which you lost consciousness for three weeks."

Three weeks?! I have been asleep for three freaking weeks. Are you kidding me right now?!

But wait, this is all moot at this point. How about my mom and my family? Are they all right? I am hoping that Mother is not concerned and that Grandpa is safe.

"My mother," I said while thinking aloud.

"Worry not, young master; I have been keeping close contact with your esteemed family. Your mother opted to delay her marriage until the parish addressed the mole leak of their information, and as of right now, your grandfather's life is no longer in danger. By the way, I need to mention that your mother has expressed great concern about your situation; perhaps it would be wise to consider sending her a letter urgently."

"Indeed, I must. Now could you tell me what I missed while being asleep for three weeks?"

Kevin took back his sharp gaze and sturdy demeanor before starting his report.

"First and foremost, young master, the imperial invasion of Kerey has been verified. The empire has dispatched 12 of its 24 imperial knight companies; based on the records left by the previous Castellan, this is twice as many as the previous invasion! The empire of Goldrosenkranz is genuinely committed to subjugating the Kingdom of Kerry."

"And their strategy of attack?"

"Yes, young master, the Empire intends to destroy Hiemifallum first. They have devoted all of their resources to this attack because winter is drawing near; if they are successful, they will secure a direct path towards the capital! I still do not understand the purpose of such a strategy; the empire would suffer enormous losses regardless of the outcome."