Chapter Forty-One: Truth's Triumph

A/N: All rights to the original content are reserved by the respective copyright owner.

Comment and vote to show your support, thanks!

---

Alphen stood at the edge of the training ground, his gaze fixed upon the scene before him with an intensity that matched the gravity of his thoughts. The man he had pledged to serve, the one prophesied by his queen, Idrila, seemed a paradox personified. In Y/N, there was a tangible thirst for power, an insatiable longing that stirred unease within Alphen's chest. It was a feeling he struggled to articulate, something beyond mere suspicion—it was a sense of foreboding.

The knight's protective instincts were amplified when his eyes settled on Sandra and Igris. Sandra's youthful exuberance, her unguarded interest in the sparring match, and Igris' unwavering dedication to Y/N—all served to deepen the chasm of his apprehension. Alphen couldn't shake the image of Y/N's eyes when they first met: abyssal, fathomless, and filled with a burgeoning might that threatened to eclipse the glory of their queen herself.

A week had passed since that first encounter, yet the memory of Y/N's gaze remained etched in Alphen's mind, a relentless shiver that danced upon his spine. The power that lay within Y/N's eyes spoke of depths untold, a reservoir of strength that Alphen feared could one day overflow and drown them all in its dark tide.

As he watched Y/N and Igris spar, the black energy that Y/N wielded with increasing finesse was a testament to the rapid ascension of his might. Alphen could not deny the potential for greatness, for Y/N's burgeoning abilities hinted at a future where their queen's visions of glory could be surpassed.

Yet, with the potential came an ever-present shadow of doubt. Alphen's loyalty was torn, caught between the oath he had sworn and the instinctive fear that Y/N's quest for power could lead them down a perilous path. It was a division he bore silently, a weight upon his shoulders that none but he could feel.

Despite the tumult of his inner turmoil, Alphen recognized the need to extend the olive branch of trust. Sandra and Igris, whose interactions with Y/N were marked by genuine affection and respect, provided a counterpoint to his fears. Their ease with Y/N suggested layers to the man that Alphen had yet to witness, facets of a leader that could inspire rather than intimidate.

In a silent vow to himself, Alphen decided to give Y/N the chance to prove his worthiness of the title bestowed upon him. He would serve, he would observe, and he would hope—to see in Y/N a leader who could guide them to salvation, a beacon to dispel the darkness that threatened their realm.

The chance would not be without its challenges, for the lingering fear was a ghost that whispered doubts into his ear. But Alphen was a knight of the realm, and his resolve was as much a part of him as the sword at his side.

With this newfound determination, Alphen continued his silent vigil, his eyes never straying from the spectacle of power on display. He would watch, and he would wait—for in the dance of light and shadow, in the clashing of wills and the testing of steel, the truth of Y/N's soul would surely reveal itself. And Alphen would be there to see it unfold, come what may.

---

Sandra watched Y/N from a distance, her heart heavy with an emotion she struggled to name. Two weeks had passed since the harrowing encounter with the Great Ones, and the change in Y/N was as clear as the bright moon in a starless sky. The man who had once stood tall with the confidence of the sun now seemed to carry the weight of shadows. His training was relentless, an unspoken fury driving his every move, his eyes often narrowed in focus or frustration.