Ch. 11 (or the one with the three foreign princes)

'Hey!' Ceryan stretched his arms sideways and looked frantically between the two sides. 'Chill your bones, will you?' Being the only barrier between two homicidal opponents, he still managed to keep his foolish grin, although Liliana noticed a fine note of panic in it.

'Not everyone is as immortal as you guys. So shove it back!' Ceryan's demands had no effects on Aresh. He looked almost serene. Wouldn't it be for the sword in his hand, a stranger might think they were having a friendly conversation.

'Step aside, Care. Let the superiors deal with this matter.'

'Red—', he urged his other brother with pleading eyes. 'I want one day. One day without bloodshed. Shouldn't this be a peaceful encounter, anyway? I wore black for you guys!'

'I knew we should have left him behind,' Aresh sneered. Liliana saw his fist tightening around the handle and decided to abandon her passive role.

'I, in your place, would worry much more about the security of your realm and not concern myself with this,' she waved her hand dismissively, 'a miniscule misunderstanding. If you see such a small remark as a serious threat, then I don't even want to imagine how fragile your current state of security really is—' She let her words linger a second before adding 'your Highness'. With her attention fixed on Aresh, she missed the concerned glances the other two brothers were exchanging.

'What are you saying?' It wasn't more than a hiss.

'What I’m trying to say, or rather ask, is, are you an unstable bellicist or are you an over-emotional weakling who feels threatened by the words of an old man in a wheelchair?' She heard her friends draw in their breaths and a muttered, 'I'm not old' from Warren. Being the only one, apart from Ceryan, who wasn't armed, she was risking a lot by blatantly insulting her alliance partner. She realized it the moment the words left her lips. Her eyes involuntarily glanced at the prince she had met a week ago, in an attempt to pursue him to see reason. Gared's expression remained indifferent, but he finally caved, put away his own sword, and laid a hand on Aresh's shoulder. His mouth moved, but no sound came out. Nevertheless, he was successful. Aresh gritted his teeth with frustration and thrust his sword back into the sheath. Every soldier followed suit, and soon there was only Liliana's group with drawn weapons. Instead of signaling her crew to lower their weapons, she waited. She waited out of spite and suppressed fury. She wanted to demonstrate, he wasn't the only one with a deeply rooted resentment. Finally, she gave Sethin a rough nod, while maintaining eye contact with Aresh. Ceryan exhaled with relief and offered her a hand.

'My Lady? Your carriage awaits.'

'I don't think so.' Aresh grunted loudly at her disagreement.

'I'm not going to put up with this,' he scoffed, shaking his head with resignation. Without a single glance in her direction, he turned briskly away and walked on the rough pathway into the forest. It seemed as if more soldiers were waiting with their transportation means hidden in the trees. Gared followed his brother with a soft shrug, leaving her with the youngest member of the family.

'I don't understand,' Ceryan picked up after the rude departure.

'Will Prince Aresh also ride in the carriage?'

'No.'

'That's what I thought. I won't be cooped up and caged away so you can appear like victorious captors when we arrive in the Capital. I will be walking or riding right beside him. As equal representatives of our nations. My guard and lady-in-waiting can assume my place instead, if you grant me that permission, your Highness.'

'Sure,' he blinked in confusion. 'One more thing? Can you speak less like a pretentious brat when you’re with me? I don’t have, contrary to my brothers, a stick up my ass.'