Chapter 6 (or the one with a puking companion and a blabbering dwarf)

Liliana stood on the ship. A clear figure for her brothers to see. She raised her hand and waved at them, especially at Ronan, before she turned around and made her way down into one of the ship's cabins. Before she could close the door, Sethin sneaked past her into the room.

'Is everything ready?' she asked. Sethin nodded.

'The sailors know not to expect to see you for the next week. They were all instructed to leave you alone. We're the only ones who are allowed to enter your chambers.'

'Good.' She looked through the small window to make sure that her two brothers were leaving before closing the dark curtains. As the room darkened, a gentle light emitted from the orbs that hung on the walls. The swaying of the ocean created dancing shadows on the red wood. She felt trapped. A feeling of having to escape the crypt-like room bubbled up in her, but she suppressed it. Instead, she opened the clasp on her cape and threw the heavy fabric on the small bed. She felt better in an instant.

'What excuse did you give them?'

'Hm?' She knew instinctively that he had done something wrong. Sethin came from a long line of warriors, and that comes with impeccable hearing and reflexes. Not to mention, they weren't humans. So every time he pretended not to hear her, she knew he was stalling.

'Seth,' she said quietly, and a low, nearly unnoticeable growl rumbled through the air.

'Alright!' He cried out. 'No need to get all animalistic on me.' He huffed a defeated sigh. 'I told the sailors that the new ambassador has a squeezy stomach, and the choppy trip doesn't help with your anxieties about the new job.'

'Ah, great. Thanks for the great image you painted them. Not like they'll spread rumors about how the new ambassador is a weakling as soon as they arrive at the Vestarian shore. It's good to know that our first impression will be glorious.'

'Sarcasm isn't a good look on you, princess,' he grumbled with annoyance.

'You know what else isn't a good look? You, wearing that tunic.' Sethin gasped loudly.

'Also,' she snickered softly before her tone became more stern, 'you should stop calling me that. Sir or Lady is fine. Remember, one wrong word, and we're all dead.'

He nodded gravely. Then he bowed deeply for the last time.

'Come here, you fool.' She hugged him tightly. As he threw his arms around her small frame, he whispered, 'Don't let anyone hug you, princess. Even though your black clothes conceal all your weapons, I can feel at least five of them on you right now.'

'Shut up. I'll see you in a week,' she whispered back while creating a portal behind her. 'Don't do anything too stupid.'

'Never,' he winked. He reached behind him and gave her a leather bag as she stepped back and melted into the glimmering darkness of the portal, disappearing into nothingness.

A slight wave of nausea rushed through her as she stepped into a hidden alcove near the beach. The two fair-haired siblings were already waiting for her, but she held up a hand and concentrated on stabilizing her breathing. After a few seconds, she finally looked up and took the washed-out blue cape that Delya handed her. She had changed into a simple stone-blue wool dress, while Liliana had put on a show for Ronan. Bellard on the other hand, had ignored her command to dress discreetly and wore a teal-colored wool vest over his light yellow shirt. Small daffodils were stitched on his vest. Great, she thought, another one who thinks that visiting Vesta is a fucking holiday. They both had backpacks resting on their shoulders. She closed the silver brooch around her neck and grimaced when she felt the shabby fur scratching her skin.