Chapter 3: Ephemeral Serendipity

The ceremony concluded with lots of laughter, and Abhi found himself joyfully gazing at Aaru, as if it were the first time, he laid eyes on her.

His mind drifted to the initial encounter, back when he was lost in a hospital gown, grappling with the absence of memories that cast a shadow on his mood. Aimless rounds through the hospital halls somehow brought him a strange sense of peace, almost like the hospital had become his second home... ironic, he mused.

Unbeknownst to him, the hospital did hold a significant place in his life. Amidst his contemplations, a sweet voice reached his ears, or perhaps it sounded sweet because his subconscious recognized her, though he failed to do so.

In that moment, she cradled a child in her arms, attempting to comfort the little one. A warm smile unconsciously formed on his face, as if he had witnessed the scene before.

"Stop dwelling on the past; it's as if everything revolves around you," Abhi mockingly scolded his own thoughts.

"You're talking like you remember everything," his mind taunted in response.

Choosing to ignore the internal banter, he tried to focus on the girl, only to realize she was no longer there.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Aaru returned to his side, enveloping him in a simple yet profound hug, and in that embrace, everything seemed to fall into place for her.

"I love you, Abhi," Aaru whispered, her words carrying the depth of her emotions.

"I too love you, Aaru," he responded, sealing his affection with a gentle kiss on her forehead as he reciprocated the embrace.

"It's 'I love you too,' idiot," Aaru corrected him with a playful look, meeting his gaze.

"But I find 'I too love you' more fitting than the other way around," Abhi explained, playfully touching his forehead to hers.

"Abhi."

"Hmm?"

"You won't leave me, will you? Will you stay with me like this forever?" Aaru asked, her eyes reflecting innocence and vulnerability.

"We are destined to be together, my love. No one can separate us. NOT EVEN OUR PAST," Abhi reassured her, dispelling any lingering doubts, and sealed his promise with an affectionate kiss on her forehead.

"Ahem, looks like we are disturbing them," Naina commented, playfully breaking the moment.

"Always, kabaab mein haddi," Abhi muttered, to which Aaru smacked him playfully, glaring at him with a smile.

("Always, a third wheel")

"Jiju abb itna toh haq banta hi hai na, aakhir aapki saali hoon." Naina teased him.

("Brother-in-law, now you have the right to be a little intrusive, after all, I'm your sister-in-law,")

"Mera bhi jald hi waqt aane wala hai, I will make you taste your own medicine meri pyaari saali sahiba." Abhi said with extra sweet smile.

("My time will come soon too. I will make you taste your own medicine, my dear sister-in-law,")

"Di, dekho na jiju ko." Naina whined, at which Abhi responded, "Yahi toh main bhi chahta hoon ki tumhari Di bus mujhe hi dekhti rahe." Saying so, Abhi winked at Aaru, who glared at him while the others burst into laughter.

(Sis, look at brother-in-law")

(That's exactly what I want. Your sister to look at me only.")

"Children, it's already late. I think we all should return to our rooms," Aneri Maa and Bindya Mummy approached them, but they were in no mood.