Prologue

A/N: Hello everyone!! this is a huge project, as told in the first author's note at the beginning. this will take a while so I'm so sorry for that.

SKYLOR – NOVEMBER 28, 2008 – EIGHT YEARS OLD. 

It’s been 147 days since she left. 

147 days since the last time I saw her. 

147 days since father wasn’t as angry with me. 

I mean, he’s always been angry. He’s always had bottled up anger that he lets out on me. But ever since she left, he’s been angrier. I dont know how thats possible but it is. 

Father hits me more. He has more anger. More vengence. More impatience. He blames me for her leaving. I dont know if he knows that it’s his fault she left. 

I dont even know if she even left. For all i could know, father could’ve killed her and buried her body in the sand that rests near the water. He does that sometimes. I like to call the water “The blood sea.” Yes, I know that’s a real place. But I like to call the waters that surround father’s island that name. It is because he likes to kill people then bury their bodies in the sand or under the water. Some people have bled out on the sand. Some people have drowned in those waters. He kills people a lot. 

I’ve seen it with my eyes. I’ve done it once myself. 

He makes me see people die. He says it’ll be better for me to see these things when I’m young, so that I’m used to it by adulthood. He says it’s for my training that I kill people. I’ve only done it once. I hated every second of it. Just watching the life go out of the person’s eyes once they're dead. Just watching the blood pool out of their body, into a puddle around them, onto the yellow sand. 

I wonder if it’s my fault she left. 

We were supposed to protect each other. 

But I guess I’m alone. I’m always alone.

I have hope that she’ll come back. I have hope that she’ll send a letter. I have hope that she’ll take me too. 

But hope dies. Just like everyone else.