Chapter 5

Percy hated going out. Especially when he was sober, he went to his second meeting, and Rachael told him to man up and share more with the group. That meeting had him in a bad mood, and he was brooding in the back seat of Thalia's car. His dad made him go to Nico's because he had to run to the rescue and didn't want Percy to sit in the house alone. Percy was a little embarrassed because well he cried when the intense hunger for just something hit him like a truck. His poor dad didn't know what to do.

Nico sat in the back with him, glancing over every few seconds like Percy was going to go berserk or break down. "Death breath, can you quit looking at me like I'm going to break?"

"Sorry." He looked back at his lap. "But you're okay, right?" Nico happened to witness the disaster that was Percy's life. His dad had dropped Percy off, red-eyed and looking like a train wreck. Thankfully, Nico had kept that moment of desperation to himself and did not tell the storm called Thalia Grace.

Percy pulled out his one-week sobriety chip, running his thumb nervously over it. "I need you to stop asking that." He snapped back.

"Nico, he's just grumpy. Ignore him." Thalia said, turning slightly to look back at them as she drove. She pulled in front of Annabeth's house. The beautiful blonde was sitting on her front porch.

"Hey, Percy!" She said, smiling wide as she climbed into the passenger seat. Thalia practically shoved Nico out of the car when he tried to sit in the front. Apparently, only Annabeth was allowed there.

Percy tried to smile, but it felt more like a grimace. "Hey."

Percy looked away. His mind used to be quiet in that sweet bliss, but now he had to feel. He snapped back to reality when he heard Thalia tell Annabeth to ignore his bad mood and ask how they already met. Oh gods, I was a disaster at her house. But Annabeth didn't mention anything that transpired when they first met, only that they had lunch. He was grateful for it.

"It's been a rough few days."

Annabeth turned and met his eyes. Her gray eyes were so bright and full of life compared to his eyes, which were dull. He looked at his hands, still rubbing the chip. Three more weeks and he'd celebrate his fourth one-month sobriety milestone. School started Monday, and he was not ready for it. He had another meeting tonight, and honestly, he wasn't sure he wanted to go.

"How are you doing Percy?"

"I'm fine. Can everyone please stop asking me that?" Annabeth raised her hands and looked away. Guilt immediately replaced the anger. "I'm sorry." He mumbled as he looked away.

"I told you he'd be a Debbie downer. Percy, I'm locking you in the car unless you leave the sulking in the car and act human when we get into the theater." Thalia always had this way with him. She took his insults and didn't let them bother her. She had a way of making him feel like he wasn't just some lowlife but her actual cousin. Nico was the same way, but he wasn't the force Thalia Grace was. Speaking of which, he noticed there was one cousin missing.

"Where is Jason?"

Nico snorted, "Dude, you just now realized he wasn't here?"

"I have a lot on my mind."

"Is it because of the reason you got a new phone? Did Octavian contact you?" Nico's tone turned to cold hatred. The moment Thalia heard Octavian's name, she slammed the brakes on as she pulled over to look at Percy's wild eyes. The theater was only one mile away, and he so desperately wanted to be in the auditorium so no one would talk to him.

Annabeth, obviously catching on that Octavian was not a good person, asked, "Who's Octavian?"

"He's no one." Percy said blankly. While Thalia said with enough malice, "his dealer." They always butt into his business. Percy's eyes glowered into Thalia's. Both are not saying anything. He refused to back down as she bristled. Percy knew she was going to explode.