XIV

☠︎

With feet drumming on the narrow corridors of the train, the four of them try to get as far away as physically possible from that thing in the carrier. 

The police officers rushing after them and completely ignoring the monster that's following, don't really help their situation either. 

Annabeth locks a door with a chain, letting the demigods catch their breath. "Percy", Morana breathes out, plucking the stinger from his shoulder, making him wince. "Sorry", Morana mumbles. "It's nothing", he mumbles back. 

"Wait what is that?" Grover asks and Annabeth yells, "It's a stinger". They all have to steady themselves with their hands on the walls of the narrow corridor as the train swings from side to side. 

"Any monsters come to mind?" Annabeth asks, Morana shaking her head at the same time as Percy. 

"I mean. Nothing good probably", Grover struggles, Morana throwing her head back in annoyance but asking, "You feeling okay?" From Percy who tilts his head in confusion at her, "I think so. Why? You think it's poisonous or something?"

"Probably", Morana answers him and starts walking away from the door that's chained shut. 

"What are you doing?" Annabeth asks just as the train tips dangerously from side to side while also jolting forward. 

They all turn towards the banging sound, the police officers included. 

The door of the next compartment hallway gains a dent as the train jolts once again. Morana starts stumbling back, "Getting as much space between us and that as possible", she answers and opens the next door. 

The train stops and they rush out, stopping on the tracks, all panting and trying to see if the monster's following them. 

"Why isn't it still following us?" Percy asks. "I'm not complaining. Let's go", Morana says, starting to walk away, the others jogging after her, Annabeth talking something about the monster learning to hunt. 

"This seems like the hunting part", the wise girl says. 

☠︎

"I can't have one fucking normal day!" Morana groans as they hurry down an alley. "We're not gonna be able to outrun them for very long", Grover realizes.