06.

Elena wondered if Niklaus would be waiting for her when she got there. She quickly ducked her head out of the carriage window. They had arrived in the Acerbus village. Strangely enough, it was like a ghost town. Elena frowned. Wouldn't they be out since it was night?

The carriage pulled to a stop in front of the familiar castle and music drifted out from inside. Were they...partying? Surely enough, no one was waiting for her. How rude! She sniffed and attempted to lower herself down from the carriage. The driver offered her help seeing as how the Vampyr had not bothered with Royal customs.

Then he drove off while Elena stood in stunned silence by herself. She did her best to lug her trunk in. As she knocked on the door, it swung open on creaking hinges. She was greeted by a skittish boy, with brown hair and light blue eyes. He must've been around her age. "I'm terribly sorry miss!" He gasped. "My master did not mention you'd be arriving today!" Elena studied him. He was definitely human. His flushed cheeks were proof of that.

"Master?" Elena questioned. He picked up her trunk with ease. Her mouth gaped open. He certainly didn't look very strong. "Of course. I'm a subjugate." She still did not understand. "I've been promised immortality in exchange for service." Oh. Elena had never heard of such things. So this was where the villagers disappeared to.

"How many years of service do you owe?" She asked, getting a strange feeling in her stomach. "Just ten. Can you believe it? Most owe 15 years!" 15 years?! "But, wouldn't they be elder by then?" She questioned. He continued walking down the dimly lit corridor.

"No. Most of us come here quite young for that purpose." Oh no. Elena was scared to ask her next question. "And, how old is the youngest one?" He paused, eyes flickering. "Twelve. Some of us..we were sold because our parents owed debts. Not me, though. I chose this." Her mouth dropped as she sharply exhaled. Monsters, just as she thought.

But they were not the only ones at fault. How could children be sold in her own Kingdom and she not know about it? She was a hypocrite. How could she call them the monsters when her own people were participating?

"But do not worry. Our Masters are quite fond of us, and we are not mistreated. Especially the young ones. They are often seen as their own children, and often are turned earlier due to attachment. These creatures, they are not as evil as you might believe. My own has often referred to me as a brother. Even though he has many." Elena couldn't believe her ears. A human, defending a Vampyr?

Perhaps she had been shielded too much from reality. Lightning flashed outside the castle, as it began to rain in torrents. "How many of you are there?"

"I do not know. Enough the service the entire Kingdom, so I'd say, about fifty?" Fifty? Fifty people had gone from her village and no one had noticed? Or done anything about it? This place gets stranger by the minute. Every new thing she learned made her more and more confused.

"Here is your room. My name is Thomas. You may request for me if needed, but you will have your own servant girl, as there are plenty to spare." Elena was not averse to servants, and especially not human ones, but the fact they were here by choice was what rattled her. Most of the castle attendants and cooks were born into their position. And no one had complained.

They were all compliant and were raised to be of service. But these people? Some were given no choice, just thrusted into a life they knew nothing about it. They must've had to be trained by others. All servants of the castle were of age, minimum seventeen years old.

Thomas stopped at a door, and unlocked it with a key. Inside was a grand splendor of a room. A huge bed, complete with red flowing drapes. A table, paintings on the walls, a vanity, and a large chandelier at the top of the room, which was not lit. He set the trunk down. Her room was illuminated by two candlebras.

"This is your Royal bedchamber. I'm sorry my Master could not greet you. He is currently out right now, leading a hunt." Elena turned quickly. "And who is your Master?"

"Why, the Prince of course."

He promptly left. Elena sat down on her bed, processing. A hunt? For what? She almost did not want to know. She stood up and looked around. There was a balcony. She pushed open two doors, and marveled. She was incredibly high up, she realized, and frowned. How could that be? Elena was certain her and Thomas had not even climbed a staircase. Her shoulder ached.

Wind chilled her to the bone as she stood there. Vases of dead flowers decorated the balcony. She silently closed the doors, and the thick curtains which accompanied them. Then Elena slowly undid her dress, pulling off the layers. A long nightgown was pulled over her. She stared at the bed and contemplated sleeping on the floor. But that was not an option, as the temperature became increasingly low. She shivered. Did they not feel the cold?

Elena crawled under the heavy covers and sheets and swiftly blew out the candlebras by her bed. The wind outside howled and the rain thundered as she closed her eyes. However she was so tired, her body barely registered her falling asleep.