Caught In the Crossfire

"My hand was the one you reached for, all throughout the Great War." - The Great War, Taylor Swift

A/N: kcbjrbdefd... 

I'm so sorry for posting so late. School is hectic and I'm working on some certificates and omgggggg..... I have 3 subjects to do for this and it's been rough... Lemme tell y'all anyway... now that my English, Math and French modules are done I'm free. For now...  

Quick note: I don't post on Saturdays.

***

"There, don't whine, Ez." I state, rubbing his back as we continued to put up a facade for Amaya.

She signed something and her assistant interpreted it.

"Something's off... What do you mean something off? The kids are fine." The man stated. I gulp.

"Yeah, even if there was... I'd know. I find myself quite intimidating."

I hear multiple soft snickers. I frown and cross my arms, "Most of the time."

"Right..." The interpreter mumbles, "Anyways, I think, we should do a security check and guard the house."

I nod, sweat beading at the corners of my head, "S- Sure. Go ahead."

Callum nods, "Extremely safe, though. Totally elf free."

Amaya signed again, "Who said anything about elves."

I swallow thickly and slap Callum roughly on his back, "Callum has nightmares, sometimes because of the other night. I have to uh- comfort him, often."

"Right..."Amaya does this sign with his hands to motion that she was watching me. Let me tell you... That woman scares me. 

"Aunty, why are you saying here? I'm mean, we're safe. No one comes here at this time of year." Ezran explains as they walked inside. 

"We can never be so sure." She signs.

"Never say never." Cal spazzes and I punch him in the shoulder mouthing to him to shut up. 

"So... General... I hear, there were sighting of elves at the border. Are they threats?" I mumble.

"The border is fine. The elves are nothing we can't handle, child. Why so interested?" Amaya signed, her persistent frown plastered on her face adding to the rough and gruff demeanor she owned. 

the soft creak of the wood above us alerted me. I looked to see Rayla calmly stalking away from Runaan to another corner. I flail my arms around, telling her to quit it and say in the shadows.

"What are you doing?"Amaya signed.

"I'm... uh-"

"Practicing for dance night. It cheers us up." Ezran butts in.

"Y- Yeah. Right."

"Well, it's terrible. Try something more traditional." Amaya advises.

I nod, quickly, "I'll try.

***

I decisively moved a piece on the board. Amaya and I were busy in a game of chess as the crowd of onlookers looked at us, anxiously. 

"You lack strategy," I scoff as I moved a piece. The crowd ooed as I smirk to myself. The puzzled look of the princes' aunt's face was priceless.

 "You'd make a terrible lawyer. You assume too quickly." Amaya signs as she moved a piece moving mine.