Chapter 23

Unedited.

Hope you enjoy!

_____________

It wasn't hard to find Mikael. Rebecca walked out to the main courtyard, immediately spotting the table. Skye, unsurprisingly, was draped over the tablet, in the midst of getting the attention of every guy at the table. Mikael was there, completely ignoring her as he talked to someone else. Rebecca couldn't help but smile. Mikael had told they weren't together and Rebecca saw no reason as to why he'd lie about it.

Sure, she did have a slight crush on him, but that was irrelevant for many reasons. Rebecca wasn't deluded-she knew nothing would ever come out of it. The only chance she had of him dating her was if someone paid him for it. Rebecca also wasn't going to pretend that she wanted a relationship with him. There was the appeal to it, just to say she wasn't the girl to have never had a boyfriend at seventeen. But, in all honesty, Rebecca didn't want a relationship. Especially not with a self-proclaimed 'bad boy.'

It wasn't right for her to enjoy Skye's suffering but Rebecca couldn't help it. Besides, all throughout her high school Skye had tormented Rebecca just because she could. And she'd enjoyed it.

Rebecca walked closer, trepidation in her step. Skye had been ignoring her, but Rebecca wasn't about to get complacent. The last time they'd spoken-more or less-Skye had left a threat behind to hang in the air. Rebecca couldn't remember what it was but she knew it was something she wouldn't like.

It struck her as odd, that the thought didn't even worry her in the slightest.

Caught up in the mess that her life had become, she didn't even care that Skye no doubt had some extravagant plan to hurt her. She had more pressing things to worry about.

If someone had told her a few weeks ago, that Mikael would be both the problem and the answer and that her life was going to revolve around him, she'd have laughed in their face. Now, that was her reality. He'd turned her world upside down in just a few short days. For better or worse, Rebecca wasn't too sure. She did know it made it more interesting.

Now, because of Mikael, she wasn't just the adopted orphan with too many awful childhood experiences. She was also a faerie with the power to resurrect someone. And that person was no indebted to her until one of them died. Dream haunting was also apparently in the job description.

Rebecca hadn't been able to decipher the difference between dream and reality for a while. Now, she was pretty sure she knew which was which. Mikael talking to her outside the hospital had definitely been real. Sneaking into a hospital room had definitely happened-Rebecca would never forget doing something illegal. By default that meant that what had transpired in the room had been real. All that she'd dreamt had been him in her room and the knife that had appeared in his hand.

She'd felt the pain, the knife piercing her skin. But before she'd actually died, she'd woken up. Rebecca had heard that if you died in a dream, you died in real life. Now she knew it was true.

Before she'd read through the book, Rebecca had just blown it all off, considering it ridiculous to even consider. But she couldn't ignore all the coincidences. There was no way Mikael had written the book and unless he'd memorised it, the fact that it all added up had to be more than a coincidence.

Now she was on a mission and she was going to get the answers she wanted.

Rebecca was just hoping he wouldn't decide to tell her it was all a huge joke. He'd stuck to his story for days, never once breaking character. Not even as much as an eye-twitch.