Chapter 19

Unedited.

I haven't updated in ages but school assignments seem never ending. I finish one and then another comes from out of no where.

______________________

Rebecca made it to the car park before she let it all sink in. Heavily falling against a pole, she shut her eyes. Somewhere her sanity was there, ready to convince her that this was all a dream. However, it didn't seem to offering any solutions at this moment. There was no way — no way — that it had been real. Surely if she kept repeating the words they'd be true.

               When had her life become such a mess? She thought helplessly, tugging on the ends of her hair. For whatever reason it was the habit she'd never been able to break. It calmed her when she needed to force away her panic. As a child, it had helped her deal with life in an orphanage; all the savageness, selfishness and self-preservation that had gone down when she'd lived there.

               Staring up at the two-storey hospital from the exterior all she could see were the eyes on her. The eyes of a person who'd been dead. He'd sat up after she'd laid her hand over his chest. Then she'd felt it. Again. The necklace had started to burn against her chest, beating like it had a heart of its own. Or maybe it had just been her own heart beating out of her chest. That she could use to rationalise. It made perfect sense in her mind and she kept with it.

               She couldn't make sense of anything else. If Mikael was right then she was supposed to believe that she was a faerie — but nothing like Tinkerbell because she wasn't real, yet faeries were. She was also supposed to believe that she had the power to bring people back from the dead. Now, because she'd supposedly brought someone back, someone was indebted to her.

               Throwing her head back, and forgetting there was a metal pole at her back, she fought a wince of pain. Her head throbbed and she revelled in the pain. Anything to distract herself from the mess she was in. Faeries didn't exist, just like werewolves and vampires didn't. Humans existed and aliens too if she was going to stretch her imagination. Magic didn't exist either. Magic would never exist.

               Moving slowly, cautiously, she grabbed the chain around her neck. Pulling it up cautiously, she stared at the pendant. It looked normal. It felt normal. It certainly didn't feel like it had just made her hallucinate. Or that it had burned her — more than once.

               Slowly, she became aware of a tear on her cheek. Then the rest of them. Glaring up at the sky, she tried to will away the tears before she fell into hysterics. All she wanted to do was cry. Cry and forget about the last few days. There's be no accusations of being a mythical creature. No miracle reviving. She'd be just Rebecca Morley, the orphan no once cased about. She'd rather face Skye's torment than fact the accusation of being someone she wasn't.

               Something wet dripped onto her hand and she glanced down at the pendant. Her tears were wetting the necklace and she watched it changed colour before her eyes. The emerald turned a deep shade of blue. Shutting her eyes, she blocked everything out. Otherwise she was going to have a meltdown in front random strangers.

               As much as she tried to deny it, she couldn't. Rebecca wanted to pretend that none of this was real — that it was some parallel universe. She was driving herself insane with self-denial. It was adding up — everything Mikael had said — but she still wasn't sure what to make of any of this. Maybe there was a chance that she wasn't normal. But the idea of being a faerie? That was way too farfetched. She wasn't ruling out the fact — being a faerie would make her life so much more exciting than it already was. It just wasn't possible.