Chapter 6: Bastard

"Do you think Suit Robotics knows you're here, in Two Dawns?" James asked me as the three of us were on our way to Sir Khan's home to show me his home office, library, and laboratory

"I hope not," I answered. "But they were able to track me before."

We walked up the street after we left the Lord Commander's home. Well, James wheeled his way onwards with ease, despite the ascending path and the gentle snow softly whirling down around us. Naturally, those well-built arms came in handy.

The street where Sir Khan's home stood was a symphony of colonial charm painted in warm tones. Lined with white oaks that offered a leafy canopy, the street exuded a quiet elegance.

"I used a fake name to board the ship that took me here," I went on. "I also wore a disguise, which I discarded onboard. To misguide them even further, before leaving, I used my real name to book a couple of interviews with some researchers and made reservations at a hotel and a restaurant for a date and time when I'd be already gone. I'm sure that at least one of those people I talked to might've been indiscreet and tipped me off—as usual."

James' face turned sour at the mention of betrayal.

"You took many precautions to make them look for you in places you're not," Sir Khan said.

"Let's hope those worked," James whispered, now with a softer pose of his eyebrows and lips. "Your MO isn't dissimilar to that of many criminals I used to deal with."

"Is that... bad?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He turned his face up to stare at me and chuckled. "No, I was just remembering how crazy they used to drive me. Those worked, believe me."

I nodded. A veteran astroguard amused by a doctor-turned-outlaw! I'd be laughing if my life wasn't on the line.

"I'm glad to see you get on well," Sir Khan said. "For a moment, I thought you'd have a stormy relationship bearing in mind what you both said about suits."

James and I exchanged a coy look. His lips trembled as his gaze shied away from mine, while a faint blush coloured my cheeks for a moment.

We went on in silence until I heard a shrill skidding sound from his wheelchair. As an automatic reaction triggered by fear, I turned to him, gasped, and shot a hand—all at the same time—on the armrest of his chair... where his thick forearm also was.

Damn, he was ripped. Even through the fabric of his black coat, I could feel how well-built he was.

My heart hammered its way out of my ribcage and up my throat, but I froze. His wheelchair wasn't skidding. He and his wheelchair were still.

He cleared his throat. "Automatic breaks," he said, blushing. "Handy since winters are usually snowy here, making sidewalks slippery."

I nodded. He chuckled—and I pulled my hand away, blushing too.