Chapter 1: Suits, a Blessing or a Threat?

Purple Rock

Purple Rock. Sirius Star System. 2709 AD.

They chose a robotic body and discarded their flesh and bones in a heartbeat.

"This is outrageous!" Mia Tan exclaimed, standing in the audience of the conference room. Her gold loop earrings shook with vehemence.

"Being of sound mind, the terminal patients in Purple Rock who have fallen prey to this puzzling neurodegenerative illness have chosen a robotic body, or a "suit", over their infected one," a speaker replied.

"Accepting slavery, as specified in the small print... willingly?" she asked with defiance. Her brows furrowed, casting ominous shadows over her angry blue eyes. Her lips curled into a snarl.

To clarify any doubts from critics, on the 26th of November in 2709 AD, Suit Robotics had sent its best neurologists, lawyers, and marketing specialists to a conference held in the faculty of medicine in Starlight Over The Sea, in the colony of Purple Rock, on planet Sothis.

"Our company wrote those contracts with the patients and our sponsors' best interests in mind," the speaker answered.

Typical lawyer bullshit. The terms in that small print are despicable.

"Miss Tan, please sit down," said her favourite professor in college, Dr Yang, a renowned pathologist. He sat right beside the lawyer. "Do not offend our guests. If you have comments to make, please wait until the end."

"I won't sit through this bureaucratic bullcrap," she complained, her voice booming in the large conference room. "Suit Robotics pushes its products on terminal patients because they know they're afraid of death. Besides, they're the only company who produces suits." She chuckled. "Making money out of this situation isn't ethical. It should be illegal."

"Our line of business has helped millions of people on Sothis over the centuries, miss," a marketing specialist replied in a formal tone, unaffected by her defiance.

"We aim to save people from any illness," a neurologist added in a calm voice. "It's not just this mysterious pandemic that affects your colony that worries the scientific community."

"Do not patronise me, sir. You're worried this pandemic might cross our borders and hit First Landing, the capital... where you come from." A lock of light blue hair fell beside her cheek as she spoke.

"Suit Robotics is entitled to develop and mass produce any scientific and technological achievement that might prove useful in medicine," the lawyer said. "In addition, the patients are duly informed of the process and the social consequences of becoming a robotic entity."

"Those are not 'social consequences'; it's accepting to become a slave! When patients sign the contract, they are deprived of their freedom. They're taken away from their family and given to a wealthy one, where they are forced to work night and day to fulfil the whims of their masters—or else you deny them their robotic body and don't return them to their human one. You kill them, sir! That's a crime against humanity. You've created modern slavery!"