5

-Aurora-

The afternoon sun hung high in the sky as Aurora sat at the kitchen table, absently picking at the remnants of her lunch. Each bite felt like an attempt to savor something familiar, but the flavors dissolved into the abyss of her muted senses. The weight of her forgotten memories settled heavily on her shoulders, an invisible burden that seemed insurmountable. As she pushed her plate aside, her phone chimed with a message from Kika: "Beach day, stat! Need your expertise in sandcastle engineering. You in?"

Aurora stared at the message, a mix of emotions swelling within her. The prospect of spending time with Kika brought a glimmer of relief, a chance to grasp at the threads of a friendship that she was supposed to treasure. Yet, it was also a stark reminder of the vast expanse of her forgotten past.

With a deep breath, Aurora quickly finished her lunch, her movements almost mechanical. She changed into a simple but cute bikini and a loose cover-up, her reflection in the mirror an unfamiliar visage that stared back at her. She had not yet looked at herself. Now that she looked more closely, she did age a bit in these past years. Her body had developed a bit more curves, and there was this scar on her side which she did not remember getting. Also, her hair was longer and less blond than it used to be. She mentally noted that she had to ask Charles about the scar and how she got it. One thing she did like, was shopping bikinis again in her own closet, since she did not remember getting them. And, apparently, she had a lot of swimsuits and bikinis. She grabbed a bag and put in a book, sunscreen and some other essentials that she ironically also did not remember getting. She couldn't help but laugh at herself, not being able to remember anything.

She found Charles in the living room, engrossed in a book. Since when did he read? "I'm heading to the beach with Kika," she announced, her tone lacking the usual enthusiasm.

He glanced up, a hint of concern flickering in his eyes. "Okay. Take care."

She walked past him when he looked up again.

"What?"

"Nothing," his eyes diverting to the pages once again.

"Charles, why are you looking at me like that? Did we have plans I forgot about?"

"No, it's just, you look good Lora."

Aurora nodded, a small smile developing before slipping out of the house. The weight of her fractured memories weighed her down, a constant reminder of the person she used to be but could no longer access.

The drive to the beach was a silent one, the sea breeze carrying a sense of serenity that clashed with the storm raging within her mind. Arriving at the coastline, she scanned the shore until she spotted Kika, her vibrant presence a stark contrast against the serene backdrop.

Kika waved enthusiastically, her smile infectious as she bounded toward Aurora. "Lora! You made it!"

Aurora managed a smile, but it felt hollow. "Hey, Kika."

Kika eyed her friend with concern, noticing the strain behind the forced cheer. "Are you okay?"

Aurora forced a nod, though the weight of her unspoken truth threatened to spill over. "I'm fine, just a bit tired."

The two settled on the beach, the sun casting golden hues on the sand as they spread out their towels. Kika launched into animated chatter, recounting tales of their supposed shared adventures. Aurora listened, trying to grasp at the threads of these stories that felt more like distant echoes than cherished memories.

Kika's enthusiasm was palpable, her laughter a balm to the ache in Aurora's heart. Yet, amidst the joyous banter and playful antics, Aurora couldn't shake the hollow feeling that loomed within her. She yearned to feel the bond of their friendship, but her forgotten past seemed like an insurmountable barrier.

As Kika busied herself with building sandcastles, Aurora's gaze wandered to the horizon, the vast expanse of the sea mirroring the emptiness she felt within. She longed to share in Kika's infectious excitement, to revel in the cherished memories they were supposed to have, but her mind remained a locked vault, withholding the keys to her own past.

Kika glanced over, catching the distant look in Aurora's eyes. "Lora, are you sure you're alright?"

Aurora managed a weak smile, her voice tinged with an unspoken sadness. "I'm trying, Kika. It's just... hard."

Kika's expression softened, a glimpse of understanding in her eyes. "I can't even begin to imagine, Lora. But hey, we're here now. Let's make new memories!"

Aurora nodded, though the weight of her forgotten past continued to cast a shadow over the day. As the sun began its descent, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink, they packed up, leaving behind half-finished sandcastles and the remnants of a day that felt both fleeting and burdened with the weight of unspoken truths.

As she bid Kika goodbye, Aurora felt a pang of guilt and sadness, a yearning to bridge the gap between the person she was supposed to be and the person she had become in the wake of her memory loss. She retreated into the car, the silence echoing the emptiness that gnawed at her soul, a poignant reminder of the fragments of a life she couldn't quite reclaim.