Prologue - Second Worst Birthday Ever

In Which A Romantic Breaks The Universe

-

The cupcake is smashed. Pink icing and gaudy star-shaped sprinkles coat the interior of the box, and the pastry itself has devolved into crumbs. You just stare at it. It had cost you seventeen dollars. It was expensive, yeah. But you'd spent the last three months walking past it every morning and afternoon in the bougie cafe's windows. You'd waited. You'd wanted.

And it was destroyed. Completely. The perfect swirl of the buttercream was no more. The single, delicate flower made of frosting had lost half it's petals. You weren't sure how you could eat it. The wrapping had been warped, but maybe a tea spoon would work?

You let your head fall into your hands, a sob wracking your shoulders. And then less than a second later you swallow down the feeling, and stride over to your shitty apartment's tiny kitchen. You grab a lighter, a plastic wine glass and the bottle of white wine Molly had given you earlier today. You hadn't told her what happened yet, but she could tell something had. She'd gave you the wine, a hug, and the promise to always be by your side.

Despite today's circumstances, despite this week's circumstances, despite this decade's circumstances, you were going to have a good birthday getting black-out drunk.

You weren't going to let yourself sink into one of your funks. Even if it was the worst day of the year by far. Even if it was the second worst birthday of your life.

You just don't. It's not allowed.

Your phone rings. Sliding it out of your pocket, you stare blankly at the name on the screen. Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Malcom. One of George's friends. You reject the call, block the number, and slide your phone back in your pocket. See? Dealing with things like an adult. Not throwing a temper tantrum, not crying, not... well, destroying your life in an epic meltdown. You'd had a few of those. Still, despite your obvious erraticness, you hadn't been fired this year. Yay!

You told yourself you were getting better, even as the universe seemingly conspired against your happiness. You were kind of convinced it was.

Turning, you play with the cap on the wine, walking over to your old ratty couch and falling into it. The beast groans at the contact, but you pay it no mind. The thing was probably older than you, and you were celebrating your twenty-first today.

You were an orphan in Gotham, it was not your first time drinking. Molly had dragged you to so many awful parties over the years. But this wine was probably the fanciest you'd ever been given. Scratch that, definitely was. You pour yourself a glass, stick the birthday candle half-hazardly into the largest chunk of cupcake, and grab the remote.

The only true comfort you can get on this day. A woman, a reporter. She speaks, but you can't really hear what she's saying. You chug down a glass of the wine, apologising in your head to Molly, and then pour yourself another.

It takes a few minutes, but your muscles relax, and her words tune into focus.

"Today's memorial, is once again sponsored by the Wayne foundation."

Yeah, because they're the only charity organisation in the city. The family of billionaires were debatably the only good ones in existance. Debtable because you weren't sure if they were good enough themselves. As an orphan who'd known the cruelty of the system yourself, you were a mix of bitter and grateful towards them. Sure, they'd been the only thing that kept you out of true poverty. You were still an awful bitch about it.

You always had been the jealous type. The other kids who got better backpacks or toys or whatever had you seething with fury. The multitude of orphans Bruce Wayne risen out of poverty were not safe from your envy. It didn't matter if you were... Well, a little bit, just a teeny-tiny-tiddly-little bit... obsessed. Obsessed with them. Kind of manic about it, actually.