Brain-A-Rooney (s1 ep8)

(aspen pov)

"Please Joey we don't need to recruit Artie. I can find us someone better, how about Barry, Lily, ooo or Joshua. Please Joey, pleaseeeeee they're all so much better than Artie." I begged on my knees.

In seventh grade Artie challenged me to a 'brain challenge', he wanted to prove that boys are smarter than girls and the first one to finish wins, the loser had to do whatever the winner said for a day, resulting in me being humiliated multiple times and being called 'slushy girl' for the rest of the year after vomiting the 5 slushies Artie made me chug without any breaks in between. Turns out he cheated, and my hatred for him blossomed the second I found out.

"All of those people you just named are either not smart enough or never show up for anything." He scrolled on his phone and wouldn't change his mind.

"Whatever. I need a hug." I wrapped my arms around Joey's torso. He placed one arm over my shoulder while holding his phone in the other.

"Hello, Father." Joey stoped Mr.Rooney. I unraveled myself from Joey and kept one arm on his upper back.

"How did  you know I was coming?" Mr.Rooney was confused, his eyes and mouth were wide open.

"Oh, it's a new app. It's called pinpoint your parents. It comes in handy when they work at your school." His phone chimed once he finished talking.

"Wait what are you two doing here after school? And why were you guys so close.... are you guys...?"

"Nope, I'm just having a rough day, also we're signing up for a team." I let go of Joey and waited for Mr.Rooney to ask the pair about it.

"You're signing up for a sports team?  Aspen how did you change his mind? Oh, I thought this day would never come!" Mr.Rooney hugged Joey, his face beaming with pride.

"And it hasn't." Joey stated. Mr.Rooney let go with confusion written all over his face. "We're signing up for the brain olympics. It's a state wide science competition this Saturday. Ridgewood is hosting, so it is important that we represent. We're gonna get our neuron." Joey and Mr.Rooney laughed at his joke.

Aspen and Joey left Mr.Rooney to look for Artie. "So I fired back, 'Sure, dude, your computer has just as much ram as mine...when the power's off!" Arties minions hyped him up.

"Artie, I told you to come alone." Joey scoffed.

"Funny how I didn't have to tell you the same thing. Burn!" Artie walked down the stairs, getting closer to Joey.

"I'm really sorry. What did you say? I couldn't hear you over the deafening sound of how epic we are. Boo!" I walked out from behind my best friend and put a hand on Joey's shoulder.

"Artie." I mumbled.

"Slushy girl."

"At least I don't look like Syndrome from The Incredibles." I said through my teeth. I was pretty proud of that one.

"Too far. What do you guys want?"

"Two words. Brain."

"Olympics." I finished.

"Leave us." Artie ordered his minions and they immediately left.

"I'm building a dream team. I wanna combine my expertise in robotics and tasty snacks with Aspens physics knowledge, and yours in aerodynamics and speedy bathroom breaks. We could form..." Before Joey could finish his sentence, Artie gripped Joey's wrist and finished his sentence. "An uneasy alliance, carefully knit together for our greater glory."

"Exactly." Joey whispered. "You, Aspen, me, and a fourth teammate who compliments but doesn't get in the way. We will completely dominate."

"I'm in"