Chapter 12

Vaidehi's family dynamic was not that of a typical middle-class Indian family. Her father was the older son, but the black sheep of the family. Instead of going into the family business, he chose to become a professor and researcher. He was also fairly ignored from childhood, compared to his younger brother, who was the favorite son who currently ran the family business. 

Although Vaidehi's parents had an arranged marriage, her mother and father soon became each other's world. Vaidehi's mother began working as her father's assistant. After she became pregnant, however, she only worked part-time. Vaidehi's parents did love her and her siblings, but they were very distant, and never paid much attention to them. It was simply that they were so important to each other that they couldn't spare much time or attention for anyone else. Because their father often got lost in his work, their mother would focus on taking care of him. 

The situation became that it was Vaidehi and her older brother, Yash, who raised the twins. And for Vaidehi, her brother was more of a parental figure than her parents. It also didn't help that in the most crucial time of their childhood, their Dadi had a turbulent relationship with her younger daughter-in-law and would often come and sulk at Vaidehi's home. Which further leeched her parents' attention. So, to get married into the Malhotra household, where the family atmosphere was far more lively and cohesive, was truly a blessing. That was the reason why she had agreed to this marriage without even interacting once with her future husband. 

She was brought out of her reverie with a smack on her shoulder. "Oy kamini, humara kya?" Vaidehi turned around and was engulfed by her best friends' hug. Radhika and Shraddha were her only two good friends, a friendship formed and strengthened by the burdens of school. Radhika's older brother Avinash, who was only a year and a half older than them and was almost as good of a friend as her other two besties, also showed up to the party. Radhika leaned in, "Ab che mahine ho gaye hain. Ab toh bata, tere aur jijaji ke beech kya chal raha hain?" 

She wiggled her eyebrows as she said that, trying to tease Vaidehi and succeeding. Shraddha also leaned in and cupped her ear, as if waiting to hear a secret. Vaidehi pulled both of their ears, "Chup kar tum dono, thoda sharam kar lo." Avinash raised his hands, backing away a step. "Ok, that's my cue to leave. But remember Vaidu, if that man ever troubles you, we're always ready to beat him up." He gave her one last hug, then walked away. From the corner of her eye, she could see her husband boring his gaze into them as they hugged, even though he was in the midst of a conversation with her siblings. 

Vaidehi turned to her two friends. "You're teasing me because I've been married for six months, but what about you two, huh? How are you enjoying being engaged? You know, they call it the 'honeymoon before marriage'." Radhika flipped her hair, trying to act nonchalant, but her blush was evident, while Shraddha awkwardly folded her hands and looked around the room. "Oho, the tables are turned now, mere doston! Waise, why didn't my future jijus come with you guys?" 

"They're both abroad for some business conference." Her two friends were engaged to cousins, and businessmen like her husband. They were actually close acquaintances of the Malhotras, and it was at Vaidehi's wedding that they saw Radhika and Shraddha (although they had heard of them before) and sent the proposals. Her friends were going to get married in two months, and she couldn't control her excitement.