Ch. 11 Leaving the Southern Water Tribe

The Fire Nation ship sails through the sea; the chilly air lets everyone know they are still in South Pole territory. Feeling bad for upsetting Prince Zuko, Kairi decided to confront him and apologize for humiliating him in front of everyone.

Kairi looked at Iroh and excused herself. She turned and walked towards the ship, getting inside. She walked through the hallways to get to Prince Zuko's room.

Kairi stopped walking and stood outside Prince Zuko's room. She knocked on the door and heard a grunting sound. She figured it was the Prince's way of telling her to enter. She opened the door and poked her head inside, spotting the Prince meditating in front of a red dragon shrine.

" What do you want?" Prince Zuko asked, his back facing Kairi.

" I came to apologize for humiliating you in front of everyone," Kairi responded.

Prince Zuko opened his eyes and turned his head back slightly to stare at Kairi.

" What kind of apology is that? It sounds like you don't mean it." He says.

" You did ask what I was doing, and I just told you what I would do," Kairi remarked.

Prince Zuko's eyes intently stared at Kairi's.

" Hm." He looked away to stare at the red dragon shrine.

Kairi's forehead twitched, getting annoyed. She opens her mouth to say something but gets cut off by Prince Zuko.

" Did Uncle told you why I got mad?" Prince Zuko asked.

Kairi didn't know what to say.

" Figured he did." Prince Zuko sighed.

He stands and turns to face Kairi.

" Look. I don't want your pity." He firmly says.

Kairi looked at Prince Zuko.

" I'm not giving you pity. I understand the pain you are going through. Even though he was your Father, a Fire Nation citizen did hurt you." She rolls her right pant sleeve to reveal her burned scar.

Prince Zuko looked at the burned scar with mixed emotions. Like his, the coloring seems old.

" A Fire Nation Soldier burned the right side of my thigh and leg," Kairi says when she sees Prince Zuko staring at it. " It happened six years ago. That same day, I lost my Mother to that same Fire Nation Soldier." She murmured.

Prince Zuko slowly lifts his head to stare at Kairi in the eyes. He didn't know what to say to her.

" I should, um, get going." Kairi turned and was about to walk away but stopped when she heard her name.

" Kairi," Prince Zuko calls out, causing Kairi to turn her head slightly to look at him.

" I want to um. Say that I am sorry for nearly burning your face earlier." He says, causing Kairi to face him.

Even though Prince Zuko had difficulty apologizing, Kairi could see that he was being genuine due to the honesty in his eyes.

Kairi smiled, taking Prince Zuko by surprise.

" I accept your apology, Your Highness." She curtseyed.

Prince Zuko annoyingly stared at Kairi.

" You don't have to curtsey." He says, causing Kairi to look at him curiously. " And call me Zuko when we are alone, of course. Around others, you can still call me by my royal title." He turned around so she wouldn't see his embarrassed face.

" Okay, Zuko. I'll be in my room if anything." Kairi excused herself and closed the door, leaving Prince Zuko in his room.

Prince Zuko turns and sees that Kairi has left. He stayed quiet, remembering the scars on her leg. His hands tightened into fists, angry that his people had hurt someone outside their nation.