Bonus Chapter: Bird Hunt

RAPHTALIA POV

After Filo got new clothes, we decided to rest in a hot springs town during our travels.

I really don't like how clingy Filo was to master Naofumi, and how he gives Filo his full attention.

While I went to my room to turn in for the night, I overheard a conversation with two women.

Their conversation talks about a bird that collects rare jewels.

I immediately thought about giving Master Naofumi a rare gem called Latium as a gift.

I went to mr Ryuji and asked if I could borrow one of his "bird wyverns" to help me search.

Although I kept the details of my reason for borrowing his monster as little as I could, to surprise Master Naofumi, Mr Ryuji eventually agreed to let me borrow his Qurupeco, Chatterbox.

Since Chatterbox behaves like a bird sometimes, I figured that it could help me find a Gagocco bird that supposedly uses the gem to decorate its nest.

Raphtalia: (I'm really glad that Mr. Ryuji was fine with me borrowing Chatterbox. If we can find that bird then we'll find some Latium. If I give that to master Naofumi as a gift then then...)

I immediately got embarrassed by where that thought was going.

Raphtalia: *blush* oh we can't master Naofumi!

Chatterbox: *confused honk*

Raphtalia: if we kissed...

???: what's this about master?

Raphtalia: kyaaaa!!

I was startled by a voice behind me.

When I turned around I saw Filo and Grif? (Kulu Ya-Ku).

Raphtalia: Filo!? what are you doing with Grif?

I started to get worried about Filo going after the Latium as well.

Filo: to look for eggs. you're here for the eggs too, aren't you?

Raphtalia: eggs?

Filo: the old man at the inn told me the eggs of a gagocco are a super yummy delicacy. Filo asked Ryuji if I could borrow Grif to help me look

Raphtalia: (I see, so Filo is being a glutton like usual. Mr. Ryuji did mention that Kulu Ya-Ku like Grif, loves eggs)

Filo: if I could give a delicacy to master, I know he'll like me more and more. I'm sure he'll pet me and brush my hair...

I breathed a sigh of relief at Filo's childishness, but I immediately got worried by what she said next.

Filo: and he'll become my mate forever

Raphtalia: become your mate!?

Filo: so, no eggs for you. bye!

Filo and Grif ran off to find the bird.

Raphtalia: hey, wait! 

I got on Chatterbox and immediately went after them.

We then raced to the mountain when Filo suddenly slipped and fell.

I grabbed her hand but I forgot to hold on to Chatterbox's rains and fell too.

Luckily, something soft broke our fall.

Filo: are you okay Raphtalia?

Raphtalia: I'm okay. We're lucky this thing broke our fall

We suddenly heard the sound of growling behind me.

We looked to see what it was and realized we landed on a sleeping monster, similar to Inosuke (Bulldrome).

We immediately started running and managed to lose the monster.

Afterward, Chatterbox and Grif found us and we continued our search.

3RD PERSON POV

The group continued their search until they eventually found a sleeping Gagocco, just as the sun was about to rise.

Raphtalia: *quietly* so thats a gagocco

Filo: *quietly* eggs, eggs, yummy eggs

The two women are crawling to get their items while not waking the bird up.

As this was happening, Chatterbox and Grif noticed the same boar monster that Filo and Raphtalia encountered, had found them.

The gagocca woke up and started cawing.

Raphtalia: I'm sorry to scare you. I just wanted that crystal

Filo: Sis, the boar is back!

Just as the Boar charged, the two Bird wyverns took one step to the side and the Boar monster zipped past them.

Raphtalia and Filo managed to evade the attack, but the boar monster scared the gagocca away, ruined the eggs, and sent the gem flying.

Raphtalia: the latium!

Filo: my eggs...

The boar turned around, ready to charge again but stopped.

Shadow covered Filo and Raphtalia's eyes as they gave off bloodlust, aimed at the boar.

They let out all their frustrations on the boar while Chatterbox and Grif ate whatever was left of the ruined eggs.

Later the four returned to town with the boar's carcass.

As the two girls were sulking, two guys approached them.

They ultimately decided to sell the boar to the village and gave Naofumi a different gift.