The Unexpected Connection

Hi, I’m Johan, and this is my love story. It revolves around a girl whom I have liked and loved for a remarkable span of 10 years, 6 months, 23 days, and 16 hours.

Johan’s POV

It all started in high school, during our first year. I remember the day when Fern, the girl who would change my life, reached out to me.

July 1, 6:00 am

I received a message from Fern, informing me that we were chosen as the class president and vice president, respectively. Our teacher, Fiona, had randomly assigned us these positions, and she expected us to prove ourselves worthy. Fern seemed concerned that I didn’t care about this arrangement.

(Seen)

July 5, 9:00 am

Fern messaged me again, this time urging me to delete my chats on the English group chat. Apparently, our teacher, Ma’am Nora, had warned us not to send any questions or chats unless instructed. I had unknowingly violated this rule, and now Ma’am Nora was furious. Fern asked me to delete my messages to avoid getting kicked out of the group chat and causing our classmates to lose points.

(Seen)

July 29, 3:00 pm

Once again, Fern reminded me of my responsibilities as the class president. Our teacher, Ma’am Fiona, had asked me to do something, and Fern wanted me to at least acknowledge her message. It seemed like my lack of response was causing frustration among our classmates.

(Seen)

August 15, 2:45 pm

Fern’s concern for me grew more evident in her messages. She warned me that our classmates were considering removing me from my position as an officer. Ma’am Fiona was making decisions, and I needed to consider the consequences of my inaction. It was clear that Fern cared about our class and wanted me to step up.

(Seen)

August 20, 6:00 am

After two months of silence, Fern messaged me again. This time, she was assigned as my leader and shared a link for an online class. I replied with a simple “Ok,” and she responded with a thumbs-up emoji.

(TWO MONTHS HAVE PASSED, NO CHATS FROM FERN)

YOHAN:

(talking to a friend)“Man, she’s so annoying. I hope she’ll just shut up for good. But seriously, I can’t help but wonder if she’s into me. Hahaha, I can’t even imagine it. Well, she’s cute, beautiful, smart, and feisty. Wait, what am I saying? She’s just annoying, right?”

FRIEND: “Well, from what I’ve heard, she’s cute and beau-“

JOHAN: “Shut up, man! That’s not what I meant.”

FRIEND: “You’re so full of yourself, hahaha. And someone really got under your skin for all those years you spent thinking you were untouchable. Now you’re all worked up over a simple conversation with a classmate.” (Mocking me with those words)