𝟎𝟎𝟎. 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞¹

𝕬urora Noemi Martin is many things but a mess she is not.

She has learnt to keep herself together from the tender age of seven years old and never, ever let herself stray.

Sure, she's had her fun growing up but never anything too demanding.

Never anything that disrupts with her idea of the future she's planned for herself.

The future that goes something like this — a successful career, a happy mental space full of solitude in a place which she can easily call home, a house bought from her own well earned money and perhaps, a cat or two.

What doesn't make the cut is romantic love.

To her, romance is a distraction.

Casual hookups are fun but romance is a disease, a disease that rots your heart from the inside out until it starts to corrode and slowly drag you down, down a very dangerous rabbit hole.

Some would call it a serious commitment issue.

But Aurora merely observes it as a principle truth.

It's as they say, the greatest loves of all time are over now.

So, why would she ever dare to believe that she could be different and find her very own happy ending with love by her side?

No, it's a liability, as simple as that.

Which is why when she came home with her cousin's new teammate last night, she was almost certain she'd wake up with him gone.

Instead, she woke up with his chin resting on top of her head and his arms encircling her body from behind.

She'd been a little confused but then decided to carefully slip out of his grasp, tie her favourite fuzzy bathrobe around her and make some coffee for herself.

She'd been in the process of taking some eggs out of the fridge when the sound of sudden footsteps had alerted her.

Quickly shutting the refrigerator door, she pivots on her heels her eyes going wide the moment she takes in the shirtless man shuffling into her kitchen.

He rubs his eyes sleepily, eyelids slightly drooped as he leans against the doorframe, his messy curls softly bouncing on top of his head.

Sighing, he brings his hand down and blinks glancing around before settling his gaze on her surprised face.

A small smile laces his lips, "Good morning".

She has the sudden urge to shove him back in her bed and spend the day tangled in the sheets with him, tasting his lips again running her hands through his curls which look so inviting at the moment.

She blinks, shaking herself out of her reverie.

"Morning. Sleep well?", she asks in an attempt to sound courteous.

The thing is, she's never really had to ask such a question with a man she woke up beside.

His smile grows.

"Yeah. You?".

"You were almost lying on top of me. It woke me up".

She doesn't know why she said it but . . . . he laughs.

Loudly.

And something in her makes her ache to hear that sound again.

"Sorry", though he doesn't look the slightest bit sorry, in fact staring into his ocean blue eyes she's pretty sure he's imagining the same thing that she was only moments ago.

Him in her bed with her, their hands exploring each other's bodies, lips intertwined in an intoxicating rhythm, spending the day tangled in her bedsheets.

They stare at each other for far too long, debating on their next course of action.

Aurora wants to show him to the door but also get him back in her bed.

And Luke . . . . well, Luke just never wants to leave her side again.

Finally, she clears her throat.

"Would you like some breakfast?".

His eyes light up at the offer and he eagerly nods, happy to be spending more time in her company.

She tilts her chin, "Get your clothes on though".

A small smirk spreads across his lips and she hates that she couldn't just telepathically communicate that simple request.

"Why? Is it distracting you?".

The urge to say yes and then furiously kiss him is very strong inside her, but she can do this.

She knows how to control herself.

Aurora narrows her eyes.

"Clothes or no food. Your choice".

He laughs . . . . again.

Is she really that funny? And oh my god, why is his laugh so addicting?

"On it", he backs away with a grin.

The next two hours go by in a blur with both of them finishing the late breakfast Aurora made and Luke picking and prodding about her personal life to learn more about her.

She tries to respond as evasively as possible and does her own digging by asking him about his brothers and his family.

She doesn't tell him that she's been a big fan of Quinn Hughes since even before he was drafted.

He tells her about his best friend whom she met last night and the way he speaks about her screams adoration.

He asks her all about her career and short-lived college life and she answers, honestly, but keeps a few maybe important to details out.

It feels weird to have someone be so genuinely interested in knowing her.

And that . . . scares her, a little.

He tries to hint meeting up with her over the summer but she dismisses the idea by using her busy schedule as an excuse.

He tries to almost ask her out, but she also maneuvers around the idea.

The only thing she does give him is her number and then she lets him leave.

It's only after he's gone that Aurora realises she hasn't stopped smiling for at least a good one and a half hour.

And then her face drops into a frown as she walks back into her room to shower and be taunted by the messy bedsheets.

***
they're just so 💘