𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

"𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 up ahead, this turns into a satyr path" Grover said as they walked through the trees, Birdie looked at each one they passed, seeing how it was different from the previous one "what's a satyr path?" Percy asked "it's a road through the wilderness," Grover answered "satyr explorers use them. Harder to track us" "that's great, but if we stay in the wilderness how are we gonna find a phone?"

The two boys were behind while Annabeth and Birdie were in front of them. Both of the girls didn't pay attention to what they were saying, but they were still listening. Annabeth was listening. Birdie was looking at trees.

"What do we need a phone for?" Annabeth asked, looking back at Percy "so we can call camp. To-- to get help" Percy replied, Birdie shook her head and ran a few steps in front of the others, finding a tree she was very interested by "we don't need help. We're fine" Annabeth said, pulling Birdie along once they passed.

Percy scoffed "we're fine? We haven't even gotten to Trenton, and we're wandering through a forest. I didn't even know they had forests in New Jersey, but we've found one. I would say we're the opposite of fine" "we were sent on a quest by the Oracle, by the gods. What'd you think, it would be easy? It's supposed to be hard," Annabeth looked at Percy and continued walking, Birdie hopped, jumping over sticks and leaves "that's why only certain people are chosen. If we call camp, we're basically saying it was a mistake to choose us."

"I'm completely comfortable with that," Percy shrugged "everyone makes mistakes" "like my mom" Birdie agreed quietly, nodding her head. "Why are you so afraid of who you are?" Annabeth asked Percy, turning around, everyone stopped walking. Birdie thought no one had heard her comment, which she was happy about.

Percy stared at Annabeth "what?" Grover looked at the two, Grover was the braver one out of him and Birdie "you know, what's interesting about this particular satyr path is it's actually the one my Uncle Ferdinand took when he set out on his own quest" Grover said, trying to end the current conversation "what was that supposed to mean, afraid of who I am? I'm not afraid" Percy continued "I'm afraid" Birdie whispered, stepping back.

"Yes, you are. You aren't just a kid. 'Just a kid' doesn't do what you did to Clarisse back at camp. 'Just a kid' doesn't have Hades sending top lieutenants to retrieve them. You know, you are apart of something so much bigger than we can understand right now. We have to move forward, whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not" Annabeth said "you don't want to call camp, fine. Then, at least let's call your mom" Percy responded. This got Birdie's attention.

She hadn't wanted to intervene or even be apart of the conversation but this made it change.

She stared at Percy, along with Annabeth. "Excuse me?" Annabeth said, not taking her eyes away from him, not even to look at her sister "Athena? Your mother. I'd call my father, but we aren't exactly on speaking terms. You know, because of the lifelong neglect and all, but you, and Birdie, you and your mother seem close. So, why don't we ask her for help?" "Grover, will you explain to your friend that he needs to pull himself together?" Annabeth said, turning to Grover, who looked frightened.

Percy looked at Birdie and then back at Annabeth "you can't ask her, can you? When was the last time she talked to you?" "Grover" Annabeth said "Percy, stop" Birdie stepped closer "I don't know why you keep pulling him into this. He's on my side" Percy didn't listen, he didn't stop "what makes you think that?" Annabeth asked "he's my Protector, it's his job" "he was my Protector first" "first? What do you mean 'first'?"

"Very exciting, getting to walk in Uncle Ferdinand's footsteps. Next best thing to getting to talk to him again" Grover said, all he wanted was for this to end. All Birdie wanted was for this to end. "Thalia, Luke, Birdie, Annabeth, they had a satyr Protector. That was you," Percy said, Grover looked to the ground "why didn't you tell me?" Grover sniffed. He went from scared to confused. "Do you guys smell that?" he asked "Grover, I'm not kidding--" "no, neither am I. Just shush" Grover sniffed again, the other three just watched him.

He blinked "hamburgers" he said, walking forward. Birdie quickly followed after him, the others walking behind.

"Grover," Annabeth said as they continued "what are you doing--" "somebody's making hamburgers in the middle of nowhere, on a satyr path. Whoever it is... they're from our world" they kept walking.

Birdie's never-ending fear returned as they travelled through the place. It was hauntingly eery to her. This was not a place they should be.

They reached a spot. A spot with stone statues laid out. "Oh, come on" Annabeth groaned, looking at all of them "what?" "Aunty 'Em' has a garden full of petrified stone folks. Yeah, this is someone from our world, alright" Annabeth answered, Birdie looked at all of the different statues. She was interested in them. 

"Anyone wanna guess what 'Em' is short for?" they all came to a stop, staring at the monsters in front of them. "I'm scared again" Birdie said, grabbing Annabeth's hand "let's get out of here, please, while we still can" Annabeth said as they all began backing away. The turned and saw one of the last things they wanted to see.

"Son of a bitch!" Birdie shouted, throwing her head back and letting go of Annabeth. She had had enough. Percy quickly gave Grover the box and took out his sword. "You should've accepted my offer when you had the chance" Alecto said, looking at Annabeth "offer? What offer is she talking about?" Percy asked, Birdie shook her head, completely ignoring the words spoken "I'm sick of this shit" she mumbled.

"Not today, friends. Not on my doorstep" a woman said. The fury used her wings to shield her eyes. They all turned away as she moved closer "if you have something to resolve, why not come inside and I'll help? Alecto? Will you be joining us?" the woman asked, Alecto turned further "no, well I wouldn't think you would," the woman then looked at the children "she won't bother you as long as you're with me. But it isn't as though she'll leave either, not if it means reporting that she failed to retrieve the son of Poseidon."

"How did you--" "a forbidden child has been claimed. How long did you think that secret would keep?" the woman smiled "it's a pleasure to meet you, son of Poseidon. I'm Medusa."

Annabeth and Birdie both looked at Percy as he slowly began to turn "Percy, don't," Annabeth warned "she's a monster" Birdie turned to Annabeth with wide eyes. That wasn't what she was and Birdie knew it.

"We all choose who we make our monsters, but, right now, that one wants to tear you limb from limb and I'm offering you lunch. The choice is yours" they heard the footsteps.

Birdie stood straight and looked up at her friends, then at the woman walking away. "I'm going" Birdie said, going to walk forward, but Annabeth pulled her back "no! You know what she's done" "I don't care. It's safer than out here. You guys can do whatever but I'm going" she tugged away from Annabeth and followed the path that Medusa walked, leaving her sister, leaving Grover, leaving the son of Poseidon.

Soon after, Percy and Grover were behind her. They walked in one by one.

A bell chimed as they did.