Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"Well, you're really not one for morning-after cuddles, are you?" He asks, a frown smeared on his face.

I scream again, unable to believe that he's here. Right now. Right here. I killed him. I fucking killed him.

It doesn't turn to reality until I feel his hand over my mouth, stifling my screams. I struggle against his grip, but it's vain, pointless. He's a lot stronger than me and the fear coursing through me doesn't help either.

"You really thought a piece of wood could stop me? How amusing." His voice is teasing now, a smirk playing on his lips but I don't take it lightly. There's a dangerous fire flickering in his face.

I draw his hand away from my mouth and rush out of the car to catch my breath. Cold wraps around me. My chest raises and drops. I blink at him as he steps out. My one hand falls over my hip while the other one is over my mouth. How is he alive? I stabbed him.

He was dead.

Literally dead.

"Oh, now you're the one scared." His smirk turns into a frown as he nears me.

"Zade—"

"You stabbed me, you little—"

"I just wanted to see my mother." I stammer, trying to explain to him.

"You just what?" He snarls, taking a step closer. I see him under the gas station lights and he's still wearing the shirt, but it's covered in blood. His blood. "You thought you could kill me and just leave? Run back to your safe little world?"

"No," I shake my head. "I didn't want to kill you and you didn't die," I whisper, almost pleading.

"You'll soon wish I had." There's barely any distance left between us.

He closes whatever there's left and grabs my arm, pulling me to himself. His eyes pierce straight through my soul and an involuntary shiver runs down my spine. His grip tightens around my arm, each finger digging into my flesh while his gaze drills into mine.

There's silence. It's quiet, so quiet I can hear my heart beating.

Under his scrutiny, I don't blink. I can't. My thoughts are being stripped bare. He's reading my mind, hearing my thoughts and everything that's going on inside my head. Everything. A pang of terror strikes me. He has never done this before, he has never read my mind.

I can feel it—feel him— scraping through the layers of my consciousness. He moves deeper, leaving no memory untouched. I try to fight back, to block him out, but he's deep inside.

I can't move, can't think.

Suddenly, he stops and releases me from his hold. "You tricked me." He accuses, his voice a low, dangerous growl.

"No, Zade, I didn't." I shake my head. It's not like that.

"Again."

"No—" I know where's going but it wasn't meant to be like this. I didn't just want to sleep with him and then stab him. It was in my mind already, before he came to me.

I couldn't hold my lust back, not when he was already reaching.

"I showed you my heart and you chose to stake it." He cuts me off, his eyes turning red with anger. It surfaces and covers his face in a different way than before.

"I wanted to go home. I was scared, and I didn't know what to do."

"Scared?" He cocks a brow at me. "You ran a stake through me, Aurora, left me for dead after I showed you nothing but care. I could have broken you in ways you can even imagine, yet I chose kindness. Your innocent act isn't going to cut it this time."

"You spoke about my mother—you didn't care whether she lived or not."

"And I still don't," he retorts, his eyes cold as ice. The sharpness of his words stings, even more than the cold. His face turns away from me, but only for a moment. "I must admit, you've added a whole new level to the term monster."

Fear constricts my chest, making it difficult to breathe. I can see the betrayal in his eyes. And it burns me.

"But you don't understand—" I begin to protest.

"I understand perfectly. You played me. Again."

Just as I open my mouth to argue, the creaking of the main door breaks the tense silence. Boots crunch on the ground as the cashier from the store steps out, his brows furrowed with concern.

"Is everything okay out here?" He asks, darting his eyes between Zade and me.

I swallow hard, my throat dry. My eyes move from the cashier to Zade, who isn't calm. The corner of his lips curl and I know what's coming next. I already know it.

"Apparently, I'm the monster in her mind after she killed me," He moves away from the car and near to the cashier. Light illuminates on his face from the store and I see his eyes changing. "Can you believe it? She stabbed me in my sleep. Now that's a monster, don't you think?"

The cashier's eyes widen. "I—I don't want any trouble."

"No trouble here," He takes a few steps forward. "I'm just fucking hungry after she bled me out, and I can't drink from her so I'm choosing the better option. You."

The cashier steps back, horror on his face, but that doesn't stop Zade.

"No, Zade!" I blurt out, moving forward, trying to stop him. But his hunger and his rage, it's solid, blinding him.

He doesn't even wait for a moment before attacking the cashier. His fangs pierce through his neck and the cashier screams in pain. I step back, covering my mouth as I see Zade draining the innocent man—my heart pounds.

I don't intervene, it's too late.

Tears well up in my eyes as I witness him feasting upon the man without any mercy. He doesn't stop. He continues for several seconds. My stomach churns.

Finally, he releases the cashier from his grip and tosses his body toward me. It slumps on me and for a moment I think he's alive until I see his face. I'm frozen in place.

The man's dead.

Just like that.

"His blood is on you," Zade declares while wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "Next time, try killing when I'm awake. I might even let you if I'm in a good mood."

Read the full book Patreon, or on my Inkitt Subscription.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions