Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Water runs over my body as I scrub away the last traces of him from my skin, especially between my legs. No matter how much I clean myself, his touch still lingers. He's a nightmare I can never wake up from. Never. When this heat is going to go another one will come and it will consume me again.

I'm vulnerable in front of him, in front of my own desires, especially now that I've gotten a taste of what pleasure is.

Even as I scrub, my skin betrays me, yearning for his touch, his taste. My heart aches, and my body burns, but not from the hot water. The need for him has seeped deep. It's a curse I cannot shake away, a chain that shackles me to him.

The fucking mate bond.

It could've been anyone but him, anyone but this monster. Anyone.

I hate him, and yet, part of me still wants him. Wants his touch, his gaze, his possession. No matter what I do, the truth can never change.

I step out of the shower a moment later, the cold air of the room sending shivers down my spine. As I change into a fresh pair of clothes, my hand reaches the nape of my neck. Why wouldn't he not drink from me? Or give me his blood?

I don't understand.

I lie down on the bed, my body still buzzing from the night I've spent with him and the morning. The sun hits right over the window in my room and it falls over the dark walls. Everything is dark in this house, haunted as I assumed first and so are the people living in here.

A knock lands on the door and I quickly sit up straight.

"You're feeling okay?" Estella asks me as she walks in.

I nod, "Yes." I don't know if she knows what has happened or that I wasn't here last night, rather with Zade, in a room.

She was right when she told me not to go to him. She knew him far better than I did. And maybe if I had listened to her, I wouldn't be feeling so jealous...so hurt by him. If I had left him alone, he wouldn't bring another woman in front of me and drunk from her to fulfill his hunger.

"I got you some tea, and a sandwich." She says while walking inside.

"Thank you."

I take the tray from her hands and keep it on the side. Estella stands near to me, eyeing me for a moment before she questions, "You went to him, didn't you?"

"Yeah," I nod. "And it was the worst decision I had ever made."

"Oh, my dear, why?" Her comforting hand comes over my shoulder as worry appears in her tone. She doesn't know anything.

"Because I'm a fool and I thought he'd be forgiving and kind, not that he'd bring another woman in front of me and drink from her." I manage to say, each word tasting bitter on my tongue.

The room falls silent as I let out a shaky breath. When it sinks in, it hurts more. I expect Estella to scold me, to tell me how foolish I've been, but instead, she steps back in surprise.

"He drank from someone?"

I look up at her and nod, "Yes."

Her eyes widen in clear shock. For a moment, she just stares at me in silence. It's something odd and not a reaction I expected from her.

"What is it?" I ask her.

She blinks a few times as if snapping back to reality. Then, with a swift shake of her head, she forces a smile. "Nothing. It's just—surprising that he'd drink from someone else."