Backstory: Changing Neverland

The three made their way to the camp, and there, Elena found 5 boys sitting on logs around a firepit with no fire in it. Two of them were sharpening stone arrowheads, one was dipping them into this dark black liquid, and the other two were playing a game with one another. The camp, although the boys looked okay being there, felt lonely. There wasn't much there. Three rabbit hides were hanging from a line on a tree, and Elena assumed that was to be dinner for them tonight. There were two tents set up on the outskirts of the camp and through the trees, Elena could vaguely see a treehouse structure.

When the boys noticed Pan and Felix had returned, their attention got drawn upward. The boys all immediately stopped what they were doing when they saw Elena. The boy that was dipping the arrows spoke up.

"Whoa, why did you guys bring a girl back here? Who is she?"

Pan looked at the boy and responded. He had a harsh tone to his voice, like he didn't appreciate the boy asking questions about Elena.

"Theo, this is Elena. She will be staying with us from now on. You'll respect her like you do me or Felix."

The boy, Theo, nodded to Pan, and Elena observed the scene. The boys introduced themselves one at a time to her. The other four were Emmett, Imran, Arthur, and Nazir. They looked to all be between 13 and 15 years old. Elena decided she should also introduce herself, despite Pan giving them her name already.

"Hello, boys, it is nice to meet you! As Pan said, my name is Elena, but back home, most people call me Lena. You're welcome to as well, if you'd like."

The sun was starting to go down at that point, and Pan ordered Imran, Arthur, and Theo to go collect firewood for them to use tonight. While the boys were gone, Elena sat down on a log between Felix and Pan and Nazir and Emmett. She was about to make small talk, but a shadow coming into the camp interrupted her. It was the same shadow that brought her to this island and it went straight to Pan and seemed to have a conversation with him. Only, Elena couldn't hear the shadow talk, it was just in Pan's mind. When they were finished with their mental conversation, the shadow flew into the air and out of view. Elena asked Pan a question then.

"Isn't that the shadow you said likes to play games with you? What is he doing talking to you like he just did?"

"About that... I lied. That is my shadow. I control him. He brings me everyone you see on this island. You see, I'm trying to get more boys here, but they all seem to end up like the criers. These six boys are all I've got at the moment."

This was the most serious Elena had seen Pan. He wasn't plotting. Wasn't smirking. Wasn't acting cocky. He was just giving her information and looking for her response.

"Well, do you just have him grab random boys? Cause that's never going to work. You need the one's who are looking for an escape, like I was. I didn't go with the shadow just because I was curious. I was hoping he would take me away from the loneliness of my home."

Felix smiled then. Elena was different and she was going to change this place. Meanwhile, Pan looked at her curiously, a little taken aback at her boldness. She really thinks she has a right to call him out like that after just getting here? He couldn't help but show some of his anger at that comment.

"And how would you suggest I do that? Don't give me a problem with no solution because that doesn't help."

"Well, do you have any way to find the ones that are lost? I mean, the shadow found me. I'm sure not all of these boys were having dreams of the island before arriving, but there are other ways. Observing boys for a few nights before you decide to take them. Looking in mostly poor villages. Music. You have tons of options."