025. delirium & oblivion

ACT TWO, chapter twenty—five :ages of deliriumcurse of my oblivion

ages of delirium
curse of my oblivion

ϟ

Another night of dreamless sleep, another day of endless classes. The start of teenhood was honestly rather exhausting, Lili thought while the quartet of best friends headed towards Hagrid's hut, the stupid Whomping Willow looming in the distance. Lili's friends' conversation was like a low hum in the back of her mind, a distant backdrop to her faraway thoughts.

"Death omens," Hermione scoffed, still expressing her hatred days later. "Honestly. If you ask me, Divination's a very wooly discipline. Now Ancient Runes, that's a fascinating subject."

Hmm. That did sound rather fascinating...

"Ancient Runes?" Ron scrunched his freckled nose, "Exactly how many classes are you taking this term?"

"A fair few," Hermione's tone was light and not at all suspicious.

"Hang on. Ancient Runes is the same time as Divination." Ron was getting confused, shouting, "You'd have to be in two classes at once!"

"Don't be silly. How could anyone be in two classes at once?" Hermione giggled before taking on a familiar voice (distinctly Trelawney—esque), "Broaden your minds, use your Inner Eye to see the future!"

Lili said nothing, just shoved her free hand further into the pocket of her robes.

The steep path down to the small paddock just this side of the Forbidden Forest was treacherous at best,and when they finally reached the edge of trees, the sun was on proud display so Lili resigned herself to overheat in miserable silence. Curiously, she noted that in the paddock, near the massive pumpkin patch, there was a freestanding iron rack hung with dead ferrets, buzzing with flies.

What sort of creature did Hagrid have to show them that required such a feast?

The Monster Book of Monsters tucked under Lili's arm was wriggling impatiently so she hummed to the big hairy book, casually unbuckling the binding, and when it tried to bite, she calmly ran her finger down the spine until it shivered contentedly and fell quietly open. Lili nodded in approval before glancing up. The others were gaping at her.

"What?"

Her friends blinked and followed her lead.

Except for Neville, of course.

Her poor friend, Neville, was currently on the ground, shrieking and screeching and battling a book trying to eat him alive.

Stupid Monster Book of Monsters.

"Don't be such a wimp, Longbottom!" Draco was mocking further down the path.

Lili sighed, stomped a foot on the growling book, and then tugged Neville back to his feet. She brushed the dirt off his shoulders and smoothed down his wild hair before looking him over. He was frazzled and had dirt all over, but at least his robes weren't torn and he hadn't been seriously maimed or anything. Nodding in approval, she patted him on the shoulder and shot him a look.