016. one of those witches

ACT ONE, chapter sixteen :i'm one of those witches, babejust don't try to save mecause i don't wanna be saved

i'm one of those witches, babe
just don't try to save me
cause i don't wanna be saved

ϟ

Lili was thrilled to join the Dueling Club.

True, she wasn't really a 'club' sort of person, but the thought of dueling was just too exciting to pass up. Hermione, Harry, and Ron were going so how could she not? Besides, it was a good distraction from the chaos that was the threat of the Heir of Slytherin. Not to mention that it was a good distraction until their Polyjuice was ready, still brewing within the safety of the upstairs girls' bathroom where Moaning Myrtle was lurking.

Ugh.

Moaning Myrtle made Lili wand to jab her wand into her eye.

Anyway. Today was their first meeting in the Great Hall, and a massive stage had been erected where Lockhart strutted like a preening peacock. Lili wanted to hex him. She stood with the other members of the quartet, surrounded by about a hundred other students who were eager to learn.

It was just a shame Gilderoy Lockhart was the one teaching them.

"Gather round! Gather round!" The man's smile did not look at all as 'swoon—worthy' as Lavender and Parvati said it did. What even did 'swoon—worthy' mean? "Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me?"

Lili tapped her foot impatiently, just ready to get to the good stuff.

"Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions — for full details, see my published works."

Gag.

"Isn't he so clever?" Hermione sighed softly beside her.

Lili shifted uneasily, "Not really."

Her best friend sighed and shook her head as if she pitied Lili for not knowing any better.

Meanwhile, Lockhart kept going, "Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape."

Out of the corner of her eye, Lili watched her father, clothed in black and arms crossed, march up the stairs with a sour expression. The girl giggled to herself. Oh, she was sure he loved being called his 'assistant'. She was fairly certain Snape just joined the dueling club to personally fight Lockhart. This thought couldn't make her any happier.

Harry cocked his head, whispering, "Did you know this was going to happen?"

"No." Lili giggled again, "But I sincerely hope he kicks Lockhart's arse."

Harry and Ron grinned at her.

Loud and obnoxious as usual, Lockhart continued, "He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him, never fear!"