African Bush Elephant

INFORMATION

African bush elephants are the largest land animals, characterized by distinctive large ears and tusks. Adult males can weigh between 5,000 to 14,000 pounds (2,268 to 6,350 kilograms) and stand about 8.2 to 13 feet (2.5 to 4 meters) tall at the shoulder.

They inhabit diverse ecosystems, including savannas, forests, and grasslands, across different regions of Africa.

These elephants live in complex family groups led by a matriarch, usually the oldest and most experienced female. Social bonds within these family groups are strong.

Communication among elephants involves a variety of vocalizations such as trumpets, rumbles, and growls. They also use body language, including ear and tail movements.

African bush elephants are herbivores, consuming a variety of plant material, including grasses, leaves, bark, and fruits. They require a large amount of food daily.

Female elephants have a long gestation period of around 22 months and give birth to a single calf. The mother and other members of the family group care for the calf.

African bush elephants face threats such as habitat loss, human-wildlife conflict, and poaching for their ivory tusks. They are currently classified as "Vulnerable" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), highlighting the need for conservation measures.

Conservation efforts are crucial to protect African bush elephants and ensure their survival in the wild.

Scientific Name: Loxodonta africana

Weight: between 5,000 to 14,000 pounds

Height: about 8.2 to 13 feet

Lifespan: 60 to 70 years 

Diet: Herbivore

Type: Mammal

Dominance: The oldest and most experienced female leads the group.

Conservation Status: Endangered