Cheetah

INFORMATION

Cheetahs (Acinonyx jubatus) are exceptional big cats native to sub-Saharan Africa. Known for their incredible speed, they are the fastest land animals, reaching speeds up to 75 miles per hour. Their slender bodies and distinctive tear marks on their faces contribute to their remarkable sprinting abilities.

Cheetahs are diurnal hunters, preferring to hunt during the day. They rely on keen eyesight to spot prey, often targeting smaller ungulates like gazelles and impalas. Unlike other big cats, cheetahs use short bursts of incredible speed to chase and catch their prey.

Solitary by nature, cheetahs may form small groups called coalitions, usually consisting of brothers. They communicate through various vocalizations, including purrs, growls, and chirps. Mothers also use maternal calls to communicate with their cubs.

Cheetahs face conservation challenges, with habitat loss, human-wildlife conflict, and a reduced prey base contributing to their vulnerable status. Their role in the ecosystem as skilled hunters and their cultural significance make them a vital species to protect.

Scientific Name: Acinonyx jubatus

Weight: 77 to 143 pounds

Height: 2.5 to 3 feet at the shoulder

Lifespan: 8 to 10 years (wild), up to 12+ years (captivity)

Diet: Carnivores, primarily hunting small to medium-sized ungulates

Type: Mammal

Dominance: Solitary, with males forming small coalitions

Conservation Status: Vulnerable