Build a Bridge ~ Mirna

Not many girls can say they've made a boy smile so much that he started to bleed. I have to admit, this is a record even for me, and that's really saying something. If you want to get technical, then I suppose he was already injured, but doesn't that make it worse?

Unlike how it was with Drew or Ted, with Kaden, it's actually safe to tell the truth. But of course, I still lie. I can't really explain it, but when I'm around this guy, it's like I go into self-sabotage mode.

We've been alone for maybe a minute, and already, I flashed him like some hussy and lied to him about the scar on my side which isn't from my war with epilepsy. And when this shadow washes over Kaden's face, and he tries to leave, what do I do? I beg him to stay, and he smiles so big that his chin starts to bleed.

Of course, I jump at the chance to fix it. I swipe at his hand so he won't touch the cut. "Sit." I push him at the couch and grab the first aid kit from the wall beside the door. Kaden sinks down into the couch, and I kneel in front of him and put the first aid kit on his lap. "Hold this for me." I grab his hands and make him hold onto the kit.

For a split second, I catch the glimpse of a smile in his eyes. The blood runs down his chin.

I scramble in the first aid kit and pull out a large cotton ball. Kaden cringes with anticipation as I bring the cotton up to his chin. I dab softly just below the cut, waiting for the blood to coagulate. In the awkward silence, Kaden fumbles with the first aid kit in his lap, and I realize that I'm pressed against his legs and our faces are only a few inches apart.

This is not quite how I envisioned I would be helping him.

The blaring sound of the intercom makes us both jump. "We have a Code Purple!" the lady practically screams.

"Jeez," Kaden breathes, and I laugh aloud as the lady finishes her page and hangs up the phone so hard the click echoes through the lounge.

Kaden stares over my head and goes stiff, trying not to move. I try to focus on the blood trickling from his chin, but I keep looking into his eyes. They're a beautiful deep brown color, but what really stands out is the neat pattern in the irises. Light brown rings spiral out from the center where the color is slightly darker.

He catches me looking, and instead of looking away, something really strange happens. We both keep staring right back at each other. "Your eyes are really cool," I say finally, and then I look down at his chin.

"My eyes are brown," he says in this outraged tone of voice, like I just told him the earth is flat. "Your eyes are cool."

My ears are burning. I allow myself to smile, keeping my eyes down on his chin. Just when I'm about to start worrying, the bleeding stops, and I stand and throw the cotton away. Kaden gets up and holds the first aid kit out for me. "Thanks."

"No sweat." I put the first aid kit back in its spot by the door. "Just a little blood, no big deal." I bite my lip to stop the rambling.

We stand in the awkward silence for what feels like hours. I start to plan an escape that involves jumping out the window. Finally, that lady comes on over the intercom again, breaking the silence with another Code Purple announcement.

"You're really good at ... uh." Kaden points at his chin.

I scoff, brushing him off. "It's just a flesh wound," I say in an awful British accent.

"Seriously. I could barely even feel a thing, and trust me, this hurts." Kaden pouts his lip in an effort to relieve the pain.

"I think I'm destined to go into nursing or something." Destiny? More like a curse.