Chapter 18: Preparations to Help a Friend

The best way to solve a problem varies among individuals; some ponder over it for a long time and decide on an approach based on the situation. The difference is that I can go through that meditation process in seconds.

However, I still have some small gaps in my case resolution, like how a model student like Shibata would resort to hitting two other students. It's not intelligent, but he is undoubtedly a very good person, a strong candidate for the club if not for his involvement in sports.

Now, I have an advantage of about a day. Considering Ichinose's absence, she is already informed.

But now, I need a way to prove his innocence. The easiest would be a witness. Best case, from Class D; worst case, from Class C.

But now, how can I deduce who among the 160 is the witness... if there is one at all? Anyone would have reported everything, with two exceptions: either they are from Class C, or they are very shy or stand to lose by reporting.

In the best or worst case, I can rule out anyone from Class C because it would be useless. Also, anyone from Class B would have already reported it. Class A would be an enigma since it would benefit them for Class B to lose points.

In my class, two people fit the psychological profile, but Hasebe had no distinctive reaction. The other person is... Sakura Airi.

So, two options: Sakura or Class A.

Manabu: "What's wrong? You were silent for a few seconds after putting on your glasses."

Ranpo: "Eh... How long was I like that?"

Manabu: "About 19 seconds. Why?"

Ranpo: "Because I think I found the witness."

-----

He knocked loudly on the door during lunch and immediately opened it to a bald guy.

"...Damn, are you Katsuragi? I have many questions for you, but this is definitely the most important: How are you bald at 16?"

His eye visibly twitches.

Kohei: "If you came to ask that, I suggest you leave."

Ranpo: "Of course not. I came to look for your leader."

A vein appears on his forehead.

Kohei: "I am the leader."

Ranpo: "I meant your next leader, the dwarf with the cane."

He clenches his teeth.

Kohei: "Sakayanagi-san?"

Ranpo: "Congratulations, with your deductive skills, you could be a detective!"

Arisu: "You can stop bothering him now, Edogawa-kun. What do you need?"

Ranpo looks at Arisu mockingly.

Ranpo: "Well, I just want to know if anyone from your class witnessed the fight between Class C and B."

Ranpo stands firm, crossing his arms as if that's enough to force her to provide more information. In reality, this was just buying him enough time to find any information within the room. Imperceptibly, thanks to his small eyes, he checked the faces of each one after asking aloud.

Arisu: "Fufufu, interesting. I was unaware of any conflict."

Without waiting a second and ignoring everyone in the room, I simply head back to my classroom.

Arisu: "Goodbye, Edogawa-kun."

---

Without caring at all, I open the classroom door noisily, and all eyes immediately focus on me. Now I remember... we barely have any points, and I skipped all the classes today.