Chapitre Quatre

Waking up the next morning, you immediately headed towards the kitchen to work on breakfast for everyone in the house as well as the soup that you had told Neuvillette you would bring him.

After making sure that everyone was well cared for and ready for each of their day's activities, you took the food that you had prepared and started your way towards the Palais Mermonia. The Melusine that you had seen the day before smiled at you, waving her hand and nodding at you to go inside.

Walking towards the door that led to Neuvillette's office with the food in hand, you knocked on the door. Neuvillette replied with a confirmation to let you in the office to which you slowly opened the door to see him at his desk doing his work.

"Here is the food that I said I would bring you," you walked over to his desk, placing the bag on it. "You should eat it now while the soup is hot."

Neuvillette stared at you, his eyes looking straight at you without an ounce of hesitation making you feel anxious inside from the intensity, "Ah, thank you for the food. I did not expect you to actually do this."

"Of course," you replied. "Homecooked food always tastes the best when you're sick. I made you various dishes since I didn't know what you would like. Please take care of yourself. Although you may not be human, you still get sick and you need rest. Please don't overwork yourself. Many people look up to and rely on our Iudex especially after Furina stepped down."

"Of course," Neuvillette replied with a nod of his head. "You also take care of yourself as well. I apologize for not being able to host you properly as you can see I do still have much work to catch up on."

Sighing, you stared at him knowing all too well of his type, "Enough work. You can catch up on that later and if it's really needed, I might be able to offer some help after all, I am greatly experienced with secretary work."

Walking back to his desk, you opened the bag which held various containers with food. Taking them out one by one you placed them on the table near the couches so that he could comfortably eat away from his desk. Once everything was ready and the hot tea in the cup, you sat on the other side of the table and motioned for Neuvillette to go sit on the couch to which he surprisingly complied.

"Please take your time to eat Monsieur Nevillette."

"You made quite a number of dishes," he said staring at the surplus of food. "I would be grateful if you could assist me in eating some of them."

"But-"

"It's the least you can do so that we won't have an awkward situation of me being the only one eating. You also did force me away from my desk to eat this."

"I didn't force you," you remarked. "You simply complied with my request for you to sit at the table."

"Very well," Neuvillette chuckled. "But please do eat some of this food that you have brought. I would most definitely not be able to finish this myself."

Smiling, you complied with his request just like he did yours and pulled out another utensil from the bag that you had brought, and with that, the two of you started to eat. Although it was a silent meal, nothing was awkward rather the silence was quite comforting especially since you were so used to eating with talkative children surrounding you.

"The food that you brought is quite delicious." Neuvillette complimented. "I must once again thank you for your generous thoughtfulness."

"There's no need. It's the least I could do after the trouble I gave you to deal with after not going about things the legal way."

"Speaking of your actions, I would like to talk about what the consequences will be as a result."

You gulped down the sudden spike of anxiety and nodded. Although you had expected as much, you couldn't help but worry about what could happen. You simply hoped that the issue could be resolved without any problems for the children.

"The consequence shall be this," Neuvillette started. "The children will be sent to a proper orphanage and you shall assist me in properly punishing the culprits who had laid their hands on the children."

"Wait," you shook your head, confused with what type of punishment that was.

Before you could even say anymore Neuvillette interrupted you, "Although your actions were incorrect in the legal situations, the morality behind your thoughts and decisions will keep you from facing any other form of punishment. Rather, you shall be stuck here assisting me until your term is over. I truly am grateful for you caring for those many children before they faced irreversible trauma."

"I'm grateful for your understanding and compassion Monsieur Neuvillette," you smiled. "I'll do whatever I can to be of help to you."

"Very well. I expect you to come in tomorrow at 9 am to assist me in my upcoming ventures to keep from any more children becoming victimized."

Your eyes widening you smiled, "Of course!"

Your heart bloomed with joy at the idea that you would be able to do more to help the people who were suffering so that no more people would run from their families in a cold and unforgiving world. With this, you knew full well that you would be able to help so many people stay away from the same fate that your lover had. You could make a change so that fewer people would suffer.