CHAPTER 6

Please don't be a dead viewer! Comment your thoughts and vote on each chapter. Constructive criticism is welcome, and feel free to point out any mistakes so I can fix them!

 Constructive criticism is welcome, and feel free to point out any mistakes so I can fix them!

I walk back to the dorms, splitting from Dain as fast as I can. Everyone is probably getting ready to go to bed, and Second Squad sleeps in the same area. Even Maize, which was surprising. I figured she would want to go off by herself, but I suppose she is in our squad. Can't really be an asset if she's off by herself all the time—even if she is a bitch.

Rhiannon rushes over to me as soon as I walk into the first year dorms, and I see the rest of the first years in my squad sitting a little ways away. Worry fills Rhiannon's gaze as I walk over. "She's fine," I say to the squad. "She'll make a full recovery. Might take a little bit though."

Maize looks up from the book she's reading and glares at me with a scoff. "That's a shame. Let's hope the next person she spars against finishes the job and gets rid of her."

I narrow my eyes, stalking forward. Ridoc immediately steps out of my way, hands up as if to say, "I'm not getting in your way."

"That's your squad member you're talking about," I hiss. "I would watch your mouth."

Maize simply rolls her eyes. "Please," she responds, her gaze returning to her book. Bitch. "She's a liability, and we all know it. She's going to either die on the mats or die during Threshing. No dragon in its right mind would bond with someone so weak."

"Maybe she is a liability now," I reply, resisting the urge to knock her book out of her hand so she looks at me. "But that can change. That will change. Maybe if you paid a little bit of attention to your squad member, you might see that not all assets are brawn. It's a good thing Violet is in our squad, since you are clearly lacking in the brains department."

Maize snaps her book shut, standing up to face me. Her brown eyes are narrowed menacingly. "I should hope someone gets rid of you for me too," she sneers. "If you can't see that that frail excuse for a Sorrengail is nothing more than a weight slowing our Squad down, then you are too."

I scoff. "Please. If I'm a liability, what does that make you, hm?" I lean back and fold my arms over my chest. "No dragon in their right mind would bond with someone who can't see past their own nose."

Maize lets out a feral snarl and swings her fist. It comes into contact with my cheek, and I grit my teeth. Oh, you want to go, bitch? Come at me. I unsheath one of my daggers, gripping the hilt tightly. I step forward, prepared to swing, when I'm suddenly jerked back. A muscled arm wraps around my throat and I panic, slashing behind me aimlessly. Finally I realize that the arm isn't there there choke me, only to prevent me from murdering my squad member.

"You done, first year?" A rough voice says in my ear, and I grit my teeth. Riorson.

"Fuck you," I snarl to the man behind me, flinging his arm off me and stalking past Maize. Her smug look is almost enough to make me swing my knife in her direction, but I restrain myself. I find an empty corner in the dorm and sink to the ground. Fucking Xaden Riorson. I could've taken her. I don't know what business it is to him if I get into a fight.