xlvii. so far gone

chapter forty-seven

THE RINGING IN HER EARS SEPARATES INTO THE BEEP OF A HEART MONITOR as Octavia begins to regain consciousness

THE RINGING IN HER EARS SEPARATES INTO THE BEEP OF A HEART MONITOR as Octavia begins to regain consciousness. She tries to listen to her surroundings before opening her eyes, but can't get past the obnoxious sound of her own heartbeat. Her head was swarmed with questions.

Where am I?

What happened?

The loudest one is, where is Finnick?

Her eyes fluttered open and were instantly met with blinding light. As they adjusted, Octavia took in her surroundings.

She was lying on a hospital bed, wearing a white hospital gown. There was an intravenous line stuck in her arm by a needle, along with a sticky pad on her chest, which was measuring her heart rate.

The room was as tiny as her bedroom in her parents' home in Eleven, the one that she once shared with Augustus.

The only things in the room other than her were the bed she sat on, the heart monitor, and the IV was a small camera in the corner.

She attempts to get up, only to find herself strapped down to the bed. Her wrists, ankles, shoulders, and torso were strapped down.

She doesn't spend as much time struggling against the restraints as she does strategizing, trying to find a way out. She attempts to wiggle her way out but is stopped when she nearly dislocates her shoulder. She notes that there was only one door and it didn't have a lock on the inside, which meant she couldn't unlock it to let herself out.

An hour had passed of Octavia's helplessness before the door was opened. A man with dark hair and tanned skin appeared, he was dressed in white. She desperately tried to remember where she knew him from.

"Little star," he greets. She instantly knew. The nights that she drowned herself in liquor before he'd touched her were stuck in her mind.

"Gianni," she rasps, the swell of her lips combined with the damaged vocal cords didn't allow her to speak any louder.

"Do you know where you are, Octavia?" He asks. If he was here, that meant she could only be in one place. She needed to hear him say it, though.

She shakes her head gently.

"Do you remember what happened in the arena?" He questions, taking a notepad from his jacket pocket and jotting down the numbers from her heart monitor.

She shakes her head again.

"Katniss Everdeen blew up the arena five days ago. She and the rebels are in District Thirteen. The Capitol was able to rescue you, Peeta, and Johanna."