xxxviii. to love and to cherish

chapter thirty-eight

"AND THEY PROMISED ME YOU WOULD LIVE

"AND THEY PROMISED ME YOU WOULD LIVE." Finnick finally finishes. The cold wind blew Octavia's hair slightly as she tried to comprehend everything that was said.

"Seeder and Chaff told you to do this?" She asks, betrayal bleeding through her words.

"Haymitch and Plutarch must have convinced them that it would keep you alive. That's how they convinced me to-"

"To leave me," she says, cutting him off. Octavia was angry with him for being so easily convinced, just like Chaff and Seeder.

"Octavia, you have no idea how much you mean to us. The three of us would've agreed to anything if it meant that you'd live," Finnick tells her, letting his hand gently guide her face to look at him.

"I wouldn't want to live in a world without you," she whispers, looking up at his green eyes.

"I'd have you hate me forever and be alive than have you love me and dead," he begins, taking in a breath, "but now you know the plan. You know what we have to do."

Octavia nods. She didn't want to be apart from him, especially in the arena. As much as she appreciated what Katniss did for Rue and Thresh, Octavia wouldn't let Finnick die for the girl. If he did die for her while Octavia was distracting the careers, Katniss would end up with Octavia's katana through her chest.

"Don't be angry at Seeder and Chaff. They just want to protect you." He looks down at her, observing the dried mascara that had run down her face.

Octavia says nothing but nods. She wasn't angry at them, she was hurt that they didn't trust her.

Finnick moves Octavia's chin up with his fingertip, pressing a kiss to her lips gently. Octavia kisses back, letting relief flood over her after she thought she'd lost him. After a moment, she pulls away.

"Don't ever do that again. Don't ever leave me."

"I won't. I swear, Octavia."

She nods, but the look on her face gives away that she doesn't believe him.

"I vow to never leave you. I'll never do anything to hurt you again. I will never let anything or anyone hurt you. I vow to love you until the day I die, through the afterlife and on," he says, Octavia feels her eyes begin to tear up.

"What are you doing?" She whispers, but she already knows.

"I'm marrying you. We don't need a wedding. We just need each other. I love you and I want you to be my wife," he tells her, stroking her cheek gently as tears fall from his green eyes.