chapter 26

She was trembling when they apparated into their bedroom. A combination of nerves and adrenaline and something she refused to believe she was feeling at the moment. Because there was no way she was turned on after what she'd just been through.

She pulled out her wand to distract herself. No matter what he said about the degree of the injury, Draco needed healing.

He stopped her.

"No offense love, I trust you with my life, but please don't point that at me while you're shaking like that," Draco said, gently taking her wrist and pulling the hand holding her wand down and away from his chest.

He leaned down and placed his forehead against hers, pulling her in to rest against his chest. He breathed deeply and she began to match his breaths and then as she felt his emotions begin to settle, hers did as well. Except for one. And he must have sensed it too because all of a sudden he froze.

He cleared his throat. "Hermione, you know earlier how you thought that what you felt coming from me was pain, but it was actually anger. Is there any chance I'm misinterpreting what you're feeling right now?"

She closed her eyes in mortification. "I don't know what's wrong with me."

"I don't see a single thing wrong with you," he responded immediately.

She huffed. "I shouldn't want you right now after what you've been through! We haven't even talked about it yet! I should be asking how you are, not lusting after you like some pathetic schoolgirl. But, there was just something incredibly sexy about the way you looked when I arrived at Grimmauld Place, and I can't stop thinking about it." He began to chuckle, she felt it more than she heard it. "Thanks a lot," she pouted.

He just continued to laugh but he held her more tightly. "I adore you," he said eventually, swooping in for a kiss and then he gently he began to brush his lips all over her face: her cheeks, her temples, the bridge of her nose. "You know," he continued conversationally, "I've just been through a trauma, and I think the best place for me to recover from that is inside of you. What do you say?"

She shuddered violently in response.

"I'll take that as a yes," he said, picking her up and making his way over to the bed.

He laid her out like she was a gift to be unwrapped. She looked into his adoring eyes and reached for him. He slowly peeled her clothes off of her body and then revelled at the expression on his face as her body was revealed to him.

Making love to Draco was always wonderful. And while she didn't actually have anything to compare it to, she'd heard enough to know that he was a far more considerate and generous lover than most. Her pleasure was quite literally his own and she had certainly never left their bed feeling anything other than satisfied- except of course for the fact that she never completely stopped wanting him.

But that night was different. He seemed intent on prolonging their pleasure, their time in the place that only the two of them would ever be able to inhabit, and she followed his lead. Hermione was reminded that sex was one of the most elemental forms of magic, a beautifully perfect joining, not just of body, but when done correctly, of soul because that night she felt it.

And when Effie tentatively knocked on their door the next morning to inform them that Ginny was on the floo waiting for permission to come through, it was with the greatest reluctance that she pulled herself away from him. It felt a terrible loss.

She hurriedly dressed, piled her hair on top of her head and rushed downstairs to meet her friend. Ginny arrived looking disheveled and like she hadn't slept a wink, but Teddy was oblivious; happy and chatting away in her arms. She gave Hermione a wane smile and set the little boy on his feet. He immediately ran over to hug Hermione's legs and then scampered off to find some toys.