chapter 19

He awoke to the sight of his mate sprawled across his chest and already awake herself. Her left arm was extended in front of her, admiring her new ring again. He studied her studying it and contemplated the events of the last twelve or so hours.

Becoming physically one with her and finally sealing their bond had settled something in him. He’d been like two different people fighting over the same body: the wizard and the veela; he’d become comfortable with the practicalities of his new abilities but had not truly embraced being a veela. Through their connection he’d made peace with his new identity. He was more than just a wizard with some special abilities. She settled him heart, soul, mind, and magic.

And in being completely himself, open and vulnerable to her, he was able to share the most honest and earth shattering experience with her. Truly, his world would never again be the same. He watched her tilt her hand back and forth like she had the night before, the difference was that whereas the blue diamonds had looked almost haunting in the moonlight, in the bright morning sun they shone radiantly: perfect for her

“Hello Wife, I take it you approve?”

Her head shot up to look at him, she bit her lip, “aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself?” she wondered.

“How so?” he frowned in confusion and ran a hand down her naked back.

She shuddered, and then made a little shrugging motion. “Well, I'm not your wife yet,” she looked up and gave him a coy smile that he couldn't help but think was intentionally enticing.

He studied her carefully and hoped that what he was about to say wouldn't scare her. “Love, while I'm certain that Mother is going to insist on holding some kind of public ceremony, no bonding the Ministry can perform for us could possibly be more serious than the one we completed last night. For all intents and purposes we’re married now, I thought you understood that.”

He heard her inhaled sharply. Her magic had accepted him, of that he was certain; the bonding wouldn't have been successful otherwise, but his mate did tend to overthink things. He hoped her brain wasn't about to ruin their peaceful morning.

“Married,” she echoed.

“Yes,” he responded hesitantly.

She looked up at him and giggled, “don't look so worried, Draco, I'm not upset. I don't think anything could upset me right now,” she grinned, “I just hadn't thought about it in quite that way.” There was a pause. “I have a husband,” she singsonged.

Draco felt like his chest might burst open from the sheer joy of those words.

“That's why you asked me to marry you last night, isn't it?” she looked at him eagerly.

“Yes, I knew how thoroughly the bonding would tie us together, and you deserved a proposal before we took that step. I didn't want you to be deprived of anything just because I'm a veela.”

“Thank you for that, and for this,” she fiddled with her ring, spinning it around on her finger with her thumb, “I know it's not traditional in magical society.”

“I wouldn't expect you to leave all your traditions behind, and you spend significant time in the muggle world, people will expect you to have a ring. I didn't get it totally right though, I didn't know about getting down on one knee,” he glared at her playfully

“You followed directions fairly well,” her mouth curled into an evil little smirk and she suddenly pinched his side and he jumped, nearly dumping her off of him.

She squealed and tried to roll away from him but he held her tight.

“Did you want a muggle ceremony?” he asked, when she finally settled against him again, “In a church, that's where muggles marry, isn't it? Do you think maybe your parents would want that?”