SIX | THE SCOUTS

Friday 4845.9.20

"Does it still hurt?" Lay looked at Wen's back and shoulders with worry as he and Wen walked to the cafeteria for their lunch period. 

"Not really, not anymore," Wen shrugged as the two walked down the busy corridor. It was now the end of the school week, so the bruises had begun to fade to a light greenish yellow.

Lay breathed out in relief as the two rounded the corner and entered the cafeteria where they joined the line to get their food. Wen had not seen Kean since their run-in in the locker room and hoped that the jock had not run his mouth about seeing Wen's obvious aftereffects of a fight.

Once the two had run through the food line, they scoped out the cafeteria for either an empty or semi-empty table before spying one just to the right of the main aisle that had just been vacated. Beelining for the table, Wen and Lay were able to secure it before anyone else had claimed it. 

"So," Lay began as he grabbed a chicken nugget with his chopsticks. "You ready for the xaiyon meeting today?"

"Mm," Wen sounded as he tilted his head to the side. "Ready for the meeting. Not ready to see Kean again."

"Ah, right. He'll officially know you tested positive when he sees you there."

"Yeah. I just hope he doesn't give me too much hell." Changing the subject, Wen asked, "How did your meeting with the ambassador go?" as he scooped up a spoonful of rice and happily ate it.

"Mr. Fortin?" Lay asked in clarification. He had known several political ambassadors from when his father's law firm was still successful, and the ones who were closest to his father often still reached out to Lay to check on him and take him out to dinner. So, his need to clarify was justified.

"It went well. He gave me the whole spiel about the xaiyon gene and asked which PHA I was interested in."

"And?"

"And I said 'Azari' of course," Lay answered before plopping another nugget in his mouth.

"Do you think we'll get in?" Wen pondered out loud as he took another bite of rice.

"You'll for sure get in," Lay responded. "Although you're shit at studying, you still have good grades and are athletic even though you've never taken any proper classes or training."

"But up against Kean, I'm not much."

"Pft." Lay blew a puff of air before setting down his chopsticks and pushing up his glasses. "The only reason Kean is better than you is because he's taken every class and training you could ever think of. If you would have had the same opportunities, I'm sure you two would've been neck-to-neck at the least."

Wen smiled at his friend's encouragement. "Thanks, Lay," he said before digging into the small portion of water spinach.

Sensing that Lay's session of talking had been used up and that his allotted expense of extroversion had been depleted, the two finished their lunch in silence before hurrying to their next class of the day. The remainder of the day flew by according to Wen's internal clock due to his mixed feelings regarding the xaiyon youth meeting later that day, and, before he knew it, Wen was walking through the doors to Gym A with Lay right behind him.

Several tables had been situated on the gym floor to provide a place for scouts to sit while multiple rows of chairs sat facing the tables. Richard Fortin was already present and seated at the central table while ten or so scouts flanked him on either side.

Seeing two new students enter the gym, a member of the Youth Xaiyon Council directed Wen and Lay to the next two available seats. Unsure whether all would appear but, planning for the fullest capacity, students were directed where to sit upon entering the gym.