THREE | RESOLVE

"Oi! Wen!" A feminine voice rang out behind Wen, snapping him from his thoughts. "Take this to table three," the girl said as she handed the brown-haired a freshly brewed cup of coffee. Wen bowed his head in apology for spacing out before taking the tray and walking around the counter.

"What's gotten into him lately?" Wen heard the girl ask a co-worker as he rounded the counter. "He's been spacing out a lot."

Wen mentally smacked himself as he returned to stand behind the counter at the café where he worked after school from seven to midnight. He needed to do well. This was his job. He could not afford to be fired.

"Hey, Wen, you okay?" Another of Wen's co-workers asked as he picked up a cleaning rag and wet it.

"I'm okay. Thanks, Mel," Wen answered and mustered a small smile.

"Okay, well, if you need anything, let me know," Mel responded before going back to her station at the register. Wen bowed his head in thanks before returning to cleaning the steamer.

The ringing of the bell grabbed the workers' attention as the door to the café opened. Mel and Gabbi shot Wen side glances and smirked as they saw the customer. Wen rolled his eyes at the girls' teases and shook his head before going back to cleaning his station.

"Can I have a hazelnut latte with almond milk, please?" The sweet voice of Aimee sounded from behind the counter. Wen was already preparing the two shots of espresso for the girl's usual order when the cup was handed to him. The boy could feel the girl's shy gaze on him as he made her latte.

"Thanks, Wen," Aimee said bashfully as the brown-haired boy set her drink on the 'pick-up' counter. Wen managed a small smile at the girl before going back to cleaning his station.

"Weeeeen," Gabbi said in a sing-song voice as she slid up to stand beside the barista.

"Yes, Gabbi?" Wen inquired with uninterest. He already knew what she was going to say.

"I think she likes you," Gabbi smiled.

"You say that every time, Gabs. Just because someone is nice, it does not mean that they like you," Wen said in his usual response.

"Why don't you give it a try? She's cute and sweet. You two would be a cute couple."

"I don't have time for things like that."

"Oh, come on. You're always either here, at school, or studying. I think it'd be good if you stepped back a bit, took a breath, and maybe dated some. You know, have some fun for once?"

"I can't, Gabs. You know I can't," Wen said in a low tone as he cleaned the foam from the steamer.

Gabbi let out a breath and crossed her arms. "I know, Wen. I'm sorry...I just wished you didn't have to break your back every day."

"I'm fine, Gabs. You don't have to worry about me," Wen responded and managed a smile at the kind girl.

"Okay. Whatever you say, Wen."

"Mmm. You have an order." Wen pointed towards the order flashing on the screen from the drive-through. Gabbi gave Wen a pat on the back before returning to her station. The boy let out a breath before returning to the newest order of three large mochas.

The sun was already long gone by the time Wen's shift ended. The brown-haired high-fived Eddie, his replacement, before removing his cap and apron and walking around the counter.

"Bye, Wen. See ya tomorrow!" Gabbi said as Wen neared the café's door.

Wen lifted his hand and waved as he opened the door and exited the café. The sixteen-year-old took in a breath of the cool, autumn night air as he walked down the sidewalk lining the busy street. Even though hundreds of cars and vehicles flew above him in various traffic zones, the ground route was still packed. The great city of Daeshin seemed to be growing by the day. The streets became more crowded as people flooded into the city from the surrounding towns and countryside.