09 | always a need to impress

"If you think that I'm letting you wear that to the gala, you are absolutely, faxing wrong."

I sighed.

While Max rifled through every dress I owned, I discarded the simple brown dress I'd been planning to wear. It didn't have any shape, but at the least, it was comfortable.

While it was nice having my best friend visit from college, her fashion advice was scandalous. It was like Max wanted to give Jameson an incentive to strip me bare.

Blushing at the thought, I said, "What's wrong with the brown dress?"

"It's boring as I'll get out." Max dropped to her knees and scanned my heels as well. "You need something that no one can ignore."

"Specifically, Jameson."

She grinned. "Yes. Specifically him."

"And what am I going to wear," I inquired, "that he can't ignore?"

She grinned, flashing me a wink before diving back into my cacophony of dresses. "The only thing that really matters is what's underneath."

I quirked an eyebrow.

"If that's all that matters," I said, "then why are you slaving over finding me a dress?"

"How could I not?" Max exclaimed. "You have seen your closet, haven't you?"

I pressed a finger to my temples, forcing myself to tolerate Max. As much as I loved her, sometimes her tactics were just too much for me.

Especially when they involved Jameson.

"I appreciate this," I murmured to her. "But Jameson and I are already dating."

"No shiz, Sherlock."

"I just mean there's no need to impress him."

Max flashed me a grin. "There's always a need to impress a man - especially when his last name is Hawthorne." Standing from the pristine carpet of my walk-in closet, she handed me a floor length black dress. "Which is precisely," she continued, "why you're wearing this to the charity gala."

I sighed, taking it from her hands.

It was going to a very long night.