05 | slow dancing

Once everyone - plus several stragglers - had returned to Hawthorne House for the reception, I thanked Oren and Alisa for grueling over the work.

My lawyer looked perfectly happy to have had the distraction. As a matter of fact, she left before the Bride and Groom could even see her.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for her, even considering how much grief she'd caused me over the years.

The gardens had been bejeweled with white and maroon tulle, several picnic tables huddled beneath a collection of oak trees. The patio was jeweled by another table, this one was topped by a cake.

Libby had made it, I could tell.

The frosting was a little rough handed, but I supposed that was what gave it its beauty.

My sister's cupcake truck was even parked beside the fountain. Although vacant, it added to the aesthetic.

Jameson and I joined the line leading up to our siblings. He held my waist while we waited, fingers hot and strong. Tempting.

Once it was our turn, Jameson abandoned me to slap Nash on the back.

I hugged Libby tight. "I can't believe you married the guy you've been 'not dating' for months."

Libby laughed. "Guess I can't deny it anymore."

"Congratulations." I meant it for the both of them, but Nash was too busy chortling with Jameson.

"Thanks, Ave." She hugged me again before Jameson and I moved out of the way.

While we waited for the line to finish, Jameson took me to a lake beside the woods and taught me to skip rocks. I'd bested him several times when we finally headed back to the party.

The cake was cut, and I was delighted to discover the white frosting had been disguising a red velvet tiers.

It matched Libby's hair, sash, and practically everyone's attire. My sister laughed as she shoved cake at Nash.

He closed his eyes, taking a moment to process, before he attacked her with his own.

More laughter echoed off the walls of the mansion.

When the night drew darker, signifying that dancing was necessary before the sun set, Libby's voice had nearly gone hoarse.

Nash offered her a hand, smirking.

I expected him to lead her onto the patio, but instead, he offered her a white cowboy hat. True to their wedding color, a maroon sash wrapped around it.

For months now, Nash had been giving my sister hats. It had been one of the determining factors of their relationship.

"Your fiftieth hat, Darlin'."

Libby's eyes were wide. First with surprise, then with emotion. She didn't even try to hide the moisture gathering in them.

"It's perfect."

Nash placed it on her head and slipped his own on. Then, he asked her to dance.

Jameson and I watched from a few feet away. He didn't say anything to me other than to wipe a few crumbs of cake from my lips.

I wasn't at all surprised that their choice of first-dance music had been a country love song.

Their hats bumped as they kissed, and I fought a laugh.

Once the song finished, Jameson offered me his hand. "Care for a dance, Heiress?"

I took it.

The sweet, lilting melodies prompted a slow dance. I'd never been talented, but at the least, I didn't struggle with swaying back and forth.

Jameson's hands skated down the small of my back.

"Do me a favor," he murmured in my ear, "and wear that dress more often."

"I rarely have an occasion for something this fancy."

Jameson practically growled in my ear, breath hot. "The only excuse you need is my presence."

"Oh?" I said. "Then you'd better stick around awhile."

"I don't have plans to leave."

Before I could respond, Libby interrupted us, along with the few other couples dancing, to announce that she was about to throw her bouquet.

It took a great deal of strength to pull myself from Jameson's arms. All the women had already gathered in the garden by the time I joined them.

And it was just in time for Libby to toss her bouquet of red roses into the audience.

She must have aimed too far, because it flew toward the back of the girls.

Toward me.

To my surprise, the bouquet landed in my hands.

And when I glanced back at Jameson, he was smirking.