⊰ CH 12: ALONE ⊱

IT WAS THE NEXT MORNING. Dianna and Charlotte sat downstairs at the kitchen island, a bowl of cereal in front of both of them. Both of them were quiet, not having fully woken up yet. Poppy places a cup of tea in front of each of them, earning mumbled words of gratitude from the sleepy girls.

Dianna had this morning's Daily Profit next to her food. She couldn't drag her eyes away from the photo on the front page. The Dark Mark glows in the sky, almost like a demented version of the northern lights. A snake winding around itself until finally slithering through the open mouth of a scull. Anyone who's been keeping up to date with the war knows that where the Dark Mark goes, death follows.

More and more murders of muggle-born wizarding families are occurring daily. This time, some newlyweds had just returned from their honeymoon only to find themselves ambushed by Death Eaters.

That's what people have been calling them. Followers of the dark lord, Death Eaters.

Those who are starving to draw "mud-blood" until there is none left at all.

Seeing these sorts of posts in the media only makes Dianna disappointed in society. Will we ever learn?

"Anna," Charlotte mummers, catching her friend's attention.

"Hm?" she hums in reply.

The dirty blonde girl looks down at her bowl sorrowfully, stirring the now soggy flakes around with her spoon. "My mum doesn't want me returning to Hogwarts this year," Charlotte says softly.

Dianna sits a bit taller at this news. "At all?" she questions.

Charlotte sighs, dropping her spoon before shaking her head. "She's grown paranoid. Almost didn't let me leave the house when I told her I was staying the night at yours." She pushes her bowl away from her, having lost her appetite, before she rests her hands in her palms, her arms balancing by her elbows on the table.

Dianna brings her hand to rest on the small of her friend's back, rubbing small circles. "Is she muggle born?" she asks cautiously. She knows her friend is Half-blood but never thought to ask for more specific details.

Charlotte shakes her head again. "M' pa is."

Dianna looks at her friend simpitheticly. "I'm sorry your family is taking this so hard, Char," she says softly, leaning over to hug her friend from behind, resting her chin on her shoulder. "If you need a place to stay, ever, at any time at all, my doors are always open."

Charlotte leans her head to the side to lay against Dianna's as she releases another sigh. "Thank you, Lovely. I hope it never comes to that."

These past few years have caused Dianna to become very aware of just how fortunate she is for being "pure of blood". The wizarding world relies far too heavily on status for those who shouldn't mix crowds, so to speak.

"Agreed."

☾☆☽

"Where have you been?" Pandora asks her brother, recovering from the panicked state she was just in.

"On a walk," Rudolphus replies with a frown as he watches his sister catch her breath.

She had just been running around the manor for ten minutes due to her parent's request. She only just found him by the front door. It doesn't take a genius to know what he was doing. He reeks of cigarettes, much to her displeasure.

Sure, she has the occasional smoke with her friends now and then, but she doesn't rely on them as heavily as they do.

"Y'know, your addiction doesn't go unnoticed. Especially to your bride-to-be," the platinum-blonde girl tells him softly.